Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active bass confusion.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metro_trash, Aug 6, 2001.

1. A passive bass uses a potentiometer ( or a couple )to roll of treble for tone giving you limited E.Q options as. This I understand.

I've heard of 3 things active pickups , active E.Q and basses with preamps.
    Active E.Q lets you boost treble and bass by adding gain via power supply ( ie. 9 volt battery )
    My bass has a bartolini pre-amp which has switchable e.q , besides added gain what does this do for me... can I plug a bass with an onboard pre-amp into a power amp and play?
    Active pickups.... is there such ( well yeah ) a thing and how do they work?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Active Pickups: Need power to work. Ie: Most EMG´s if not all.
    OnBoard Preamp and Active EQ are the same thing.

Can you play directly to a Power Amp?
    Yes and No.
    It will work, but the output of the Bass is more suited to work with another preamp, the signal is too low to be properly amplified by a Power Amp.

3. Yes, there are things such as active pups...I should hope so otherwise I have some very odd black boxes in my SR-885 ;-)

4. if i have active pickups and passive electronics do i put my cord in the active input?
    and if i have passive pickups and active electronics do i put it in the active input?
    can anyone explain the difference between passive pickups and active electronics and active pickups with pass electronics?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    yes
    yes
    the first case is for example the G&L L serie
    the second, for example the emg pickups
    differences are hard to say but i prefer passive pickups with active electronics because you can have the true passive sound too, that's impossible with active pickups. and the passive sound is for me the best by far.

6. My Cort Artisan 5 runs a 9 volt battery for the active Bartolini mk1 pickups. I prefer active basses becuase it makes the bass sound more alive. Much brighter and deeper without being harsh.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think most people are confusing active pickups with active preamps. If you have the 2 or 3 band EQ, you have an active preamp. Active pickups aren't very common, and don't give you any EQ options, they just make you louder. The preamp also makes you louder, but gives you the EQ options, which is why it's preferred.

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    My understanding of active pickups is that they have a much less powerful magnet, and need a current running through them so the signal coming out of the pickups is boosted just enough to work with the preamp. All the basses with active pickups I've seen also have an active EQ section. Then again I might be wrong.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    You're not.

(Me neither:D (ref to my signature) )

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Can someone tell me a maker of an active pickup? That is a a pickup that requires current that is not part of a preamp system? Please don't say EMG, because EMG pickups have preamps. They are built into the pickup itself.

Chas

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    As far as I know, all active pickups have preamps, the difference being that the signal is preamplified in the pickup itself. (Kind of like how a condenser mic works.)