1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active bass in simple combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kasper007, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Will I blow the speaker out of my amp if I run an active bass through it? The bass will hopefully be a G&L L2000 Tribute:hyper: and my amplifier is a 60 watt combo (Alesis Bassfire) thing without active input, -10db pad or such?

Also (and I hope this isn't a nominee for Most Stupid Noob Questions Ever): Can you plug your headphones directly in your active bass (hoping the preamp has amplified the signal enough to be able to hear it through them)?

:help: Thanks

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    1) Don't worry, you won't blow up your amp. Just turn down the gain/preamp volume on your amp.

2) Sorry, but there's no way to listen to the bass on headphones without some type of phantom power. All the preamp in the bass does is just give a signal boost, not provide enough power to drive your headphones.

3. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    The amplifier doesn't have a separate gain control and I don't have a preamp or effect with wich I can turn down the volume, only the master volume of the amplifier, is that a problem?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    How 'bout the volume knob on your bass?

Mike

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1

That will also reduce your input level. If you're really concerned, you could drop an email to the manufacturer of your amp.

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Unless it is an antique, your amp was designed with active & passive instruments in mind. I wouldn't worry at all.

7. tysonlb

tysonlb

Mar 9, 2006
    Long Beach, CA
    I have a Tribby L2K and my practice amp is an old, crappy Fender BXR 60........I play it between 5 and 8 (on the volume knob) at all times, and it has never given me trouble. It distorts and sounds like crap if you go too high, but it wont blow or anything like that. And, it only has a volume knob, no preamp or gain.

That BXR is loud, though, but that's another topic! :)

8. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Thays really fantastic news! Thanks.

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    my G&L climax even drives my headphones! not too well, but better than practicing without anything.