Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active bass limitations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bithas, Apr 28, 2003.

1. bithas

bithas

Mar 30, 2003
    does having an active bass limit what type of heads and cabs i can get. for example does the swr 8004 and workingman tower work with active basses?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    No, there are no limitations. 'Active' just means that you have more control over your tone at the bass.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

you wont get a nice warm and rounded vintage sound from your bass.

unless of course, you have a defeat switch that goes from active to passive sounds.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Let's not turn this into a new versus old arguement. An active bass should have a higher output so it needs a different amp setting than a passive. But most amps nowdays have enough tone shaping capabilities that there should be no problem.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I don't think that active has much to do with the output level nowdays. For instance, my G&L 2500 in passive mode has much higher output than my active Alembic Essence. Active usually simply means on-board tone shaping capabilities, including boost and cut.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word. He asked a question, not your opinion.

As for the active input thing, and them being of higher output, it depends on the bass.

My ATK works fine without any needed db pad.
    BUT, with some active basses that have super hot preamps, (If I pop my ATK open, and turn the pre gain a little hot,,,,) the other input with the pad would be needed.

Just because it's active doesn't mean you have to plug it into an "Active" or "-(insert loss of db here)DB" Input.

As far as bithas,,,,

any bass will work fine with any rig. you hear a rig you like, it will work with any bass. You hear a bass you like, it will work with any amp.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    he's right about active not always meaning having a higher output. In general, if a bass has an onboard pre-amp powered by a battery, it's output is higher (I know you all know this, just telling the thread starter). Active nowadays mostly refers to having an active preamp, but if you REALLY want to get nit picky about it, some people don't call a bass active unless it's pickups are active to. There is active preamp, and active pick ups(with active preamp). Most of the time, when you get an active bass, it means it has an active preamp, not pick ups.

Jeez,,,,I was bored.....

8. To answer your question, probably not. In some rare cases you might have an active bass that the output is to high for the input. If that be the case then simply turn the basses volume down to an appropriate level. I have an American Standard P-Bass which is about as passive as you can get. The output of my MM SR5 is just about identical to the P-Bass. My Lakland 5502 on the other hand has about 5 more db output. So it really depends on the bass. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

9. bithas

bithas

Mar 30, 2003
    awsome thanks a lot. this question was for my buddy he just got the btb510 and he's looking into getting that 8004 and workingman tower for $1499...good deal?