Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active bass not "gainy" enough, pot on inside, need more GAIN.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jun 17, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i used to play nothing but passive p-basses. now that i have my first active bass, i need some help. I put a new battery in the ATK (Active) and i went home, pluged it in, and and found i had to crank my pre gain knob twice as much to get the signal output i had with the passive p-basses. Some ATK owners have said that their is a pot on the inside that increases the gain from the pre amp. i havent looked at it, but do i need to pump this thing up to get a stronger signal?

2. My suggestion to you is, open up the cavity and look. there maybe a little variable resistor, looks like a oval shaped/or even a blue square thing where a flat head (for the oval) or a phillips head (for the square ones), could fit in. I'll see if i can find a picture. Try adjusting it slightly clockwise. not fully, but slightly. if they reduces the output even more, go anitclockwise.

Just try it.

Don't have the bass plugged in when u do this.

:D:D

Merls

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, i tried this, and found NO DIFFRENCE IN SOUD LEVEL AT ALL. Why? i turned it almost all the way one way, then almost all the other way, and no diffrence. WHAT IS UP?

4. oh man....NEVER **** around with internal pots unless you know exactly what you're doing..

as for the gain thingy.. go back to the store.. my ATK has plenty of gain.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Crud, i am all dissipointed. maybe i need a new battery after all, he might have just jiped me. All i know is that i have to crank the gain on the amp twice as more to get the same output..... ok, time for the stupid question... i might have gotten the inputs mixed up. ok, i am used to the "low" "high" labels, mine has a 0db and a -15db. ive been pluging my p-basses into the 0db, and the active into the -15db... god tell me i am not that stupid....

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    No you are right, passive basses go into the 0db, and active into the -15db.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, you only need to use the lower gain input if the sound distorts at all volume levels (indicating the output is too hot and overloading the preamp).

I always use the higher gain inputs on my amps, and I use both active and passive basses.

I always wonder what kind of active circuit everyone else is using that's so hot! :confused:

8. I put both my passive and active bass in the 0dB input, and it works fine !

9. You should only use the -15dB pad if you're running a line-level signal into your amp.

Use the passive input and put the internal trimpot at half. ATKs, like Stingrays, are known for having high-output preamps--the little bit of grind this adds is characteristic of the tone.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks guys, and thanks peter you smug bastard you! I just heard from alot of bassists to use the -15, or "high" input if you have an active bass.... must be losers, i mean, WHAT IDIOT WOUDL THINK THAT? I MEAN,, BESIDES ME? AND,, UH, THAT OTHER GUY THAT SAID I WAS RIGHT?!?! . i am, an idiot. Thanks again.

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This is at least the case with my amp&bass. I´ve tried my bass using the 0db input and it distorted when I started to dig in a little. So it suits me just fine to use the -15db with my standard active bass, and the 0db with my old junk passive bass.

To each is his own I guess. There really aren´t any "wrongs" or "rights", just personal preference.

12. My old Dean had a very weak preamp and I would have to turn the gain up to 8 on my old WT-300 to get any volume at all. Those EMG-2D/3D preamps are just kinda pansy.

My FBB's Bartolini NTBT, on the other hand, is hot. If I cranked the internal trimpot I could definitely push a line-level signal.

Some basses with proprietary preamps--Status, Kubicki, Ovation--are known for very high output, and overdrive pretty much all passive inputs, so it makes sense to use the -15dB rolloff with them.

I myself like a bit of grit in my tone when I'm playing rock, but I get that from my Fafner's drive control.