Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Bass & Outboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VJP, Apr 11, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    If I'm using an active bass with an outboard preamp, is it best to bybass the onboard pre? I've got both the Sadowsy and Fodera outboard preamps and I like to use them sometimes with active basses. I've got a Smith 5, which I can bypass on, but the Modulus Q5 I have, I can't bypass the onboard.

Is it possible to have too many gain stages and will I damage anything with too many preamps in the chain?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If I'm correct, the only concern you'll have with outboard preamps is too high of a signal going into your amp's preamp stage. If you can adjust the preamp to account for the extra power, I don't think you'll be doing anything wrong. It might not sound great, but then again, it might.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you have a couple of really great basses, and an amp with tone controls, why do you need another preamp in between? You might have a tone you like, but it seems like all that circuitry is just going to degrade the overall signal in the end.

jd