Active Bass Plugged into a wall outlet???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 8, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I recently read that an EBS microbass II can power an active bass. At least if I understood it correctly. That got me thinking... is there a way one could go about using an ac adapter and directly connecting it the 9volt battery terminal in active pickups?

I have an old radioshack mixer and i cut the battery connection terminal and spliced it onto an ac wall wart (keeping in mind the correct polarity and voltage). It works fine. Maybe this same reasoning can be applied to the active pickup scenario?

The bass is plugged into the amp anyway so what's one more wire?

Perhaps just another crazy idea.... :ninja:
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    From the EMG website FAQ:

You can externally power your EMG system, although we do not provide parts for this option. We don't recommend doing this, however, as the you will require extremely high quality power filtering to equal the performance of a regular battery. Since the pickup is the very first stage of your system, it's particularly sensitive to noise.
  3. I'm guessing it must be a DC wall wart, still the DC isn't filtered, or regulated very well either. At least a Zener diode and filter cap inside the bass would be a good idea to keep it from introducing hum, keep the voltage constant at the right level.

4. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    VEGANBASS: Yes, you can power your bass remotely. Alembic have been doing it for decades, and I've used their PSU to power EMGs in another bass.
    The last part of the EMG statement is true to an extent. The first stage is the most sensitive to (power supply) noise, but how much of that gets through to the actual audio signal depends on the design of EMG's internal preamp and most importantly the quality of your power supply.
    Agree with what you said, except for the zener as they're quite noisy in themselves and bypassing them is only ever partially successful at removing all the noise. The 5V6 versions in all sizes seem to be the quietest.

I'd still suggest a decent outboard regulated PSU, at 18V, using a small metal box and a different cable connector to go to your bass so that you never accidentally plug the DC powered lead into a normal active or passive bass. Run the DC up a seperate lead.
  5. Agreed, I only said the least.... lest they see 9vDC on the wall wart and assume they're good to go... :eek: