1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Bass putting things on the fritz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ansonsti, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Hey TB,

I've got this NS Designs CR-5 Radius. Internal 18v pre-amp. It's like I get some subtle clipping with it when I really dig in. This has been going on for some time now but I've got some time finally to troubleshoot it (again). I plugged my homies Stratocaster into the bass rig and didn't have any of this problem. My issue is that playing with my fingers I often get carried away and it's like I'm hearing some digital noise or some kind of break up. The amp clipping light doesn't come on. And it tends to get magnified by pedals. It seems that
    my DarkGlass SuperSymmetry makes it a little stronger as does my IE Xerograph Deluxe. And historically my EQD NightWire also doesn't play nice. I guess that since getting into pedals I've learned that passive basses generally play nicer than actives. And I feel like this 18v pre-amp is blitzing the signal or something. Not sure if I should put this in the pedal or bass forum. It seems to be originating from my bass though. And I did actually just plug right into my MarKBass CMD102P combo, with the problem still subtly there (dialing down the piezo pickup helps). I mostly just notice it when I'm really digging into the strings. The pedal board seems to accentuate it. Sadly my P-bass has a bad jack so I'm weary to plug that scratchy thing in and try to test it. The other kicker is that the CR-5 Radius is my dream bass and I'm pretty determined to make it work. The whole headless aesthetic is pretty great, not to mention it's general playability and tone. Let me know what you think. I had been thinking of switching out the compression pedal because for awhile that seemed to be the root of the distortion accentuation. But I think the SuperSymmetry is fine. The guys at DarkGlass even offered to have me send it back. I'm just in a weird spot with a ton of variables and a good bit of obstinance to make matters worse. LMK what you think

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Could the batteries be running low, the pickups be too close to the strings and/or the internal preamp gain pot adjusted too high?

ansonsti and Garret Graves like this.