Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Bass Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Agmundr, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Agmundr

Agmundr

Apr 25, 2004
    Hello fellow bass maniacs! Please don't rag on me for asking a question that may have been asked and answered because I did search for this and I couldn't find the answer yet. So maybe now you guys can give me some info on my question: When you have active pickups do you have to change the battery quite often? If you have passive pickups and an active equalizer (eg. Ibanez Soundgear) do you have to change a battery quite often? Or can you play through the passive pickups even if the equalizer doesn't have a battery in the guitar? I am looking into an Ibanez Soundgear which has passive PU but an active EQ. Do some have a switch so you can use active or passive? I would like to never change a battery but please let me know anyway. Thanks guys. :ninja:

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    How often do you change your strings? If you change them every 3-4 months, just condition yourself to change the battery then too, regardless. That way, you'll always have a juiced battery.

Keep an extra 9-volt in your case or gig bag just in case too.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I used to have all active basses. Changing batteries is an incovenience but it wasn't that big a deal - and I don't like changing batteries and I didn't have flip tops. I used rechargeables and always had backups. Rechargeables don't have the output or hold a charge like alkalines so I basically had to change the battery every time I played a bass. Even an alkaline was fairly shortlived in my basses by others accounts I've read, a week of regular play maybe. I hear of many players saying there's last months so it will depend on the bass. And I could tell when mine were going cause the output of the bass would drop noticeably then it would start getting some fuzz to the tone - I never had one just quit.

Very few basses I know of have a true by-bass mode, so you will in deed be draining the battery every time you plug in cause the active electronics are not isolated from the passive circuit.