Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active bass sounds the same as every other active bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BLonge, Feb 27, 2005.

1. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts
    so,my friend (guitar player,not bass p[layer) is trying to convince me to get a spector professional series instead of a euro 5. his reasoning is "theyre all active pickups,active pickups bypass all of the tone tht the body gives off and sends a computer signal through the cable to your amp" "it doesnt matter what kind of body it is or what kind of wood the neck is"

and im just wondering how getting a proffesional series spector would be better than getting a euro 5 cause my friend tries to convince me to get a new kind of bass every damn day,and no matter what its not good enough.

idk,i dont have enough money to spend on a US made spector,but i want to make sure i make the right purchase,cause with college coming up,i probly wont be able to buy a new bass till im out of school. so is my friend an idiot? cause i really dont see how buying a cheaper bass than what im looking at is a good idea....

also,i was looking into peavey cirrus'...whats better,the spector or the cirrus,overall.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You're friend is a complete idiot. All active pickups do is power an onboard EQ built into the pickup. The woods still matter just as much as they do in a passive bass.
    Personally, I'd take the Spector over the Peavey, but I think the Peavey may have a bit more versatility than it. Also, most of the Korean Specs have larger necks, so that's something to think about. Hell, go to your local store plug one of each in and school you friend :D.

Ray

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    + 500. Don't listen to your friend. He's full of ****.

Both the Spector and the Peavey are great basses. If possible try them both, and any others basses that interest you, and make a desicion based on how well they satisfy YOU.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Your friend is a guitarist. 'Nuff said. Don't listen to a damn thing he says...ever. :p

Both the Cirrus and the Euro are awesome basses in their own right. I doubt you'd be unhappy with either, so you just have to try both of them out to see what you like best. :bassist:

5. Like this one! And this one, and this one, and- aw, man even this one sounds awful! Weak, thin- almost no output. Wait- my amp's not plugged in. Am I a guitar player now?

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162240

Here's a thread with similar stories. No one should make you buy this bass or that bass...unless perhaps they're the ones paying for it. Ultimately YOU are the bass player and YOU should get the bass that YOU feel most comfortable with and can sound like YOU on. What bass YOU get is YOUR decision and YOUR business and why should YOU have to succumb to the whims of a bandmate who's clearly not very knowledgable about bass electronics?

And active electronics are quite varied. EMG, Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, Lindy Fralin, etc. pickups all have different characters and can sound great or awful if/when coupled to a particular preamp- be it Demeter, Aguilar, Bartolini, or whatever else...

ASIDE: Stories like that get to me. I mean, it's not like you hear us telling the guitarist what guitar to play/get, what kind of drums the drummer should play, why the keyboardist should get a Korg instead of a Yamaha, etc. So why should SOME guitarists feel that the bassist is their puppet and should do their bidding? I mean, guitarists are a dime a dozen and if a bassist is dissatisfied with the guitarist s/he's dealing with it's easy enough for said bassist to find another gig and a guitarist who's cool.

7. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    id definitely go with the cirrus, better slap tone IMO

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've seen in at least 5 threads lately, people say "tonewoods dont' matter that much in active basses, you can dial in any tone you want".

THAT'S ABSURD!!!!!!! :scowl: :mad: :scowl: :mad: :spit:

The only thing an active pre does is allow you to boost certain frequencies, and not just attenuate them. That doesn't mean you can slap some barts and an obp-3 to a 2x4 and get good tone.

So, sorry for the rant but I'm just tired of all this bull-honkery.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep, your friend is unquestionably a twit.

What kind of music do you play? What bass do you have now?

Filling out your profile is a good thing.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri

:p

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    "sends a computer signal through the cable to your amp".
    LOL. Tell your geetarist he's a 2 bit idiot.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Slap him.

I've owned 2 active basses, they sounded nothing a like.

13. BLonge

BLonge

Jan 8, 2005
    Massachusetts

as for my style,i dont really have one. i like to play everything,but i guess MOST of the time i like to play rock. i like the sound of copeland and interpol bass but i also like the raw sound of bane. so i guess you could say i mostly play rock and punk. i dont have any plans of being in a funk band...i have a peavey millenium bxp right now

14. Your guitarist is a penis.

This could be your "unique selling point". :)

15. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    You might visit www.emginc.com

They have a very good explanation of active and passive pups, the differences in sound, etc.

They build both types and have every config/layout/size/shape you can imagine.

16. Your friend is an idiot. The Spector Euro 5LX is the best bass I've ever played. Get it, so I can dream about owning it:)

17. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Tell your guitarist freind that he does not know what he is talking about and should shut his pie hole.

:meh:

I own 2 active basses, a Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 4 and a Yamaha RBX375 5 string. They both have 2-band eq. They both have a volume control and a blend knob. They both have two pickups. AND A MORON COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO LISTENING WHILE BLINDFOLDED. But your freind might not be able to.

:rolleyes:

As far as the Spectors go, I have no idea. I just felt compelled to respond to the active comment. I DO know that Spectors are highly touted and so are the Peavey Cirrus'. To be honest I have never heard anything negative about the Cirrus. At all!

I do know this...Get the absolute best bass you can afford, even if it is used.

If I had to choose without being able to compare the two side by side I would go with the Cirrus.

:)

Joe.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Your friend is an idiot.

Its your bass, not his, so its your choice. Get the one you like.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Every active bass that has different electronics definitely sounds just as different as 2 passive basses with different electronics.

20. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    First off, you should decide whether you really need to switch basses. :) If you decide you're going to switch basses, pick the bass your most comfortable with, and that sounds best to you.

Although your friend's comment is ridicoulus, it's quite true that pickups (not so much preamps, but they too) do affect the sound of your bass. Some people regard the pickup as a more important part than the wood selection, others not. I don't think there's a "right or wrong" in this discussion, though. Pickups sound differently, and will be a strong participant in coloring the sound of a given bass.

Not only active pickups, mind you. Passive pickups contribute just as much, they just don't have the built-in pre-amplification in the bass, so you must rely on your amp to do that part of the job instead. Some people swear by actives, some by passives. Just different preferences.

Your friend doesn't have a clue, though... either that, or he wish he was a bass player himself, being envious as to the amount of cool gear that is available for bass players. ;) :D :D

I do have a Peavey Cirrus myself, and it's a great bass. I have no experience with the Spectors, though, so I cannot give an A/B advice. I suggest you check them out yourself, and find the one you like the most.

Good luck! :)