Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active bass to passive (and vice-versa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sticktapper, Sep 26, 2000.

1. sticktapper

sticktapper

Sep 15, 2000
    I don't know if I'm posting this to the right forum or not, but here goes. How does everyone deal with switching from an active instrument to a passive one, and the subsequent change to input levels, in a live situation? I'm using an SWR Super Redhead which does have two input jacks (Active & Passive/Active) but the change in levels is still huge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Not that I play a active much - my personal instrument is a passive, but I've always used the -15dB switch on my Crate BX-100 for active instruments if they start to cause the preamp to clip.

Find what settings gain and volume-wise that you're going to use for each instrument and remember them, then it's only a matter of a quick adjustment between songs.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I roll back the volume on my active bass so the output is approximately the same as that on my passive bass. I run the passive (a Fender RB5) wide open.

4. I had a similar problem with changing from a Stingray to a P bass and Ric.
    Solved it by getting a Raven Labs Master Blender.
    Now my S/Ray goes straight to the amp and the other two go to pre-set levels in each channel of the blender. It also has bass, mid and treble controls on each of its two channels, a tuner out and can be used as a DI box.