1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active bass to passive (and vice-versa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sticktapper, Sep 26, 2000.

1. sticktapper

sticktapper

Sep 15, 2000
    I don't know if I'm posting this to the right forum or not, but here goes. How does everyone deal with switching from an active instrument to a passive one, and the subsequent change to input levels, in a live situation? I'm using an SWR Super Redhead which does have two input jacks (Active & Passive/Active) but the change in levels is still huge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Not that I play a active much - my personal instrument is a passive, but I've always used the -15dB switch on my Crate BX-100 for active instruments if they start to cause the preamp to clip.

Find what settings gain and volume-wise that you're going to use for each instrument and remember them, then it's only a matter of a quick adjustment between songs.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I roll back the volume on my active bass so the output is approximately the same as that on my passive bass. I run the passive (a Fender RB5) wide open.

4. I had a similar problem with changing from a Stingray to a P bass and Ric.
    Solved it by getting a Raven Labs Master Blender.
    Now my S/Ray goes straight to the amp and the other two go to pre-set levels in each channel of the blender. It also has bass, mid and treble controls on each of its two channels, a tuner out and can be used as a DI box.