1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active bass users...do you use the padded input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just curious - active bass users, do you use the pad on your amp's input (if you have one)? I know this is what the pad is for, I'd just like to get an idea of how many players use it.

Thanks - Skel

2. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    i play a G&L L2000, these have very hot pickups, so i always use the pad.

3. I have a Fender Active Jazz and I don't use the pad on my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro.

It's seems like a 6 db pad is good for my bass but the Ampeg has a 12 (?) pad. It must be for extreme output basses, like a 18 volt preamp.

I can use the pad and turn the gain all the way up and it won't clip. So I don't use the pad.

I turn the master all the way up and control the volume with the gain.

4. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I use the -12db on my svt5. I think my pickups and preamp are a little hot.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    usually no, but i do when i want to mod the tone a bit. Like a lot of amps, My SWR's padded input also attenuates the highs a bit, and can change the tone of the bass somewhat. I've used that to modify the tone of both active and passive axes.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I don't, unless I'm on an amp that I have to adjust the gain down to nothing I just use that. I play active and passive.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I've never used the pad on any amp of mine that has had one, I don't like how they affect the tone. I just make sure the input gain doesn't clip the preamp.

8. I don't use the pad, I just keep my volume and gain at 3 O clock and do all the volume adjustments onboard.

9. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i do.

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    yep

11. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I've tried it few times. No real change in tone, just a huge drop in volume. But I do use it when I just have to try a new bass line at 2am on a wednesday night. I get a better control of my volume settings at low level.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yup

13. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Never - have owned Musicman, Warwick and Fender actives over the years and a huge cariety of amps - GK, Fender, Mesa, Warwick, Ampeg, SWR..... Always tried the active inputs but never once found I preferred them.Perhaps preamps just like to be driven hard and the idea of a pad in the way has never appealed.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No.

15. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    what acually is a pad anyway??? eheheh... seriously, i'm really an ignorant with that thing? so now i'm a bit concerned especially that i'm looking at buying bass with 18v active pu...would that mess up my amp head? am currently using bass with active pick up but only 9v, i just plug it straight to my head!

16. Milo Duane

Milo Duane

Apr 15, 2006
    please educate me!!! cheers!

17. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The Pad drops the input by usually 9 to 12db for active basses so you don't clip. I just turn down the gain.

18. i do on my GK 700 RBII from my ibanez sr800. its only a -6 db pad, i think- i may be wrong though. it just gives more headroom and clarity, especially when panning/EQing a very low sound.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    OK, I'll amend that to 6 to 12db, I haven't seen more than 12 but there may be.

20. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    This is on behalf of all bongo owners:

YES

it doesn't help turning down the input gain on my 1001RB-II. the bongo still manages to clip the preamp, so the -14dB pad is a MUST. and thats with the bass knob flat or slightly CUT on the bongo eq!!!