Active Bass with Big Muff...fail?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jan 23, 2009.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Not sure if this belongs here or electronics, but I suspect it belongs here.

I just put an Aguilar OBP1 in my Pbass and got it back from the shop last night (I contend that I did most of the work, just had an epic fail to complete it), and I took it to rehearsal shortly thereafter and plug it into:

Mini Qtron-->BBE Green Screamer-->BassBalls-->Big Muff-->TU-2

Now, I expected to have to adjust the gain on all the pedals to adjust for the hotter signal, but I actually almost had to dime my Big Muff's Volume knob. In fact, everything across the board was putting out a much lower signal than it did on my Passive Jbass (that I played the night before).

Initially I was happy to have it back in time for a rehearsal before a show so I could figure everything out and have time, but now I'm not so sure if I should bring the PBass tonight. Is there something going on with impedance matching that I don't understand?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think that might be a result of an 18V preamp. Have you tried with an active P that only has 9V?

3. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I have an 18V Warwick, and had the exact same problem with my Little Big Muff, so I ditched it for more active-friendly fuzzes.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Nope, this is my first foray into active basses other than trying them in stores and deciding that I needed a project...:help:

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There's no reason why the low impedance of the Aguilar pre should futz with the Big Muff.

The high amplitude (loud) signal might be the problem.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    So back off on the volume knob maybe? I assumed a hotter signal would produce craziness. Thanks for the responses guys.:bassist:

7. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The preamp in my friends jazz killed one of my distortion pedals. It was only a 9v pre, but the pedal was a ****** brand, rocktek or something. Plugged in, plucked the A, and then the pedal just slowly faded out.

8. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    +1 same with my 18v Bongo. however the bass big muff handles it quite nicely

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Never heard of that happening before... I doubt it was because of the preamp. :eyebrow:

An active preamp poses no risk to a distortion/fuzz pedal, but the impedance can drastically impact the sound. It depends on the pedal's design.

For example, I've found that the EHX Bass Big Muff is friendlier to active basses than the Little Big Muff. In fact, the Bass Big Muff is friendlier to basses in general, but that's a given. :D

Some pedals are infamous for being impedance-sensitive (i.e., the Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth), but not all fuzz pedals are victim to this. The general opinion around here is that passive basses always "sound" better with fuzz pedals, but I disagree. :smug:

10. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    This is what I was thinking might be happening. I figure I'll bring my trusty J tonight and figure out this pedal issue after I pay this preamp stuff off my credit card.

Thanks guys.

11. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I tend to agree. My Mammoth is modded so that the impedance is the same going into the pedal with passive or active basses, and I love love the active tone in mine :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021