Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Bass without using -12dB switch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Superdave, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got a Musicman active bass, and an Ampeg B2 200 watt 1 15'' combo. Basically an Ampeg B2r in a combo.

This amp has the -12(or so)dB switch for active basses, and I get a better tone with the switch off, not to mention louder, but the 'Peak' light usually goes on. Is this bad for the amp?

2. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Not really bad for the amp, but not good for the speaker. You should be fine without the 12 dB, but adjust it so that the LED only lights up occasionally.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Try turning down the gain. It is ok if the peak light fllickers, but it shouldn't flash. If you cannot get it down to a flicker with the gain control, you will have to use the -15 dB pad.

I am very surprised that the active switch is affecting your tone. I would have expected it to be a very clean buffer with no colouring of the tone.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I never use the active inputs or pad on any of my Ampeg heads. what the others said is right on the money. Just turn down your input gain until the red light flickers on your loudest heaviest playing. Then turn your power amp gain/stage volume up until it's loud enough.

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the help.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I use the -0db input on my BA115 w/ my Lakland 55-01 ALL the time... Since I'm not cranking it up too much, I don't worry about it. But, the sounds is definately better.