1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active bass won't work with all cables!?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FrozenAngel, Sep 4, 2008.

1. FrozenAngel

FrozenAngel

May 24, 2007
    I recently picked up a livewire cable from GC,
    works great with my passive basses or for connecting pedals no problem.

The trouble starts when I try to plug in any bass with active pickups, I get no sound.
    This is actually the 2nd livewire I've tried with the active pups too. What's going on here?

2. Sounds like a length issue either connector or jack. The active electronics, usually use a jack that completes the the ground. That turns them on when connected and off when you remove the connector.

It could be the shaft length is long connector vs. jack and it grounds all signal. Try slowly putting the connetor in, and stop after it engages the tip. Or maybe it is to short connector vs. jack and it isn't seating the tip.

But if the sleeve makes contact it should complete the ground curcuit.

IMO it would just be easier to use a different cable. I have the same issue with a cable. Works on on active bass yet not another. My issue is the tip doesn't seat well with it's connectors. All my cables with Switch Craft connectors work fine in all my basses. But it does have some exposed sleeve (~1/16-1/8") on some of them. I recommend straying away from the plastic molded connectors. I don't feel QC @ most facilities cares if they are off 1/8". Which could easily make or break a connection.

3. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    have you changed the battery in you active recently?