Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chug_A_Lug, Apr 5, 2001.

1. ok, so i feel foolish to say that i don't know too much about basses, heck, i haven't even had mine for a full year yet... but i had expressed a problem i was having with the sound, and how it'll just get really low for no reason. someone pointed out that it could be the battery if it's an active bass. and i'm pretty sure it's not... but now i'm wondering!!! but i'm still pretty sure it's not... how can i tell for sure? i thought the little box at the base of the neck was a little compartment that has to deal with the neck stuff... you know, like straightening it and so on. i've never opened it and goodness i wouldn't dare unless i knew for sure what i was doing... but it's a precision bass special, deluxe series, made in mexico; black with gold scratch board and maple wood neck... goodness i feel stupid asking this, but better safe than sorry...

i think i might also have a question about the three knobs. i know the middle one is for volume, and i figured the other two are for the pickups... i know that if i turn the last one down low, then the buzzing is reduced... but uh... heck... i just try to leave them alone! but okay... anyway... i'm just rambling now...

~~E

(does this show just how stupid and naive i am? clueless maybe? hey, it's a girl thing, i want to know for sure!)

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome CHUG-A-PLUG, and please ask any questions. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS STUPID QUESTIONS.

There is a battery in the back of your bass. Through should be a little slot, that looks much like any battery compartment. Pop it open, and replace the battery (should be 9V). That'll tell you if it's the battery or not.

3. first of all, it's Chug_A_*Lug* not Plug! and... are you sure? so, are you saying that my bass is active? are you sure? positive? b/c goodness, i didn't know that... i'm too scared to check... i'll take it to this guy i know, ask him if *he* could check... besides, i don't have a screw to get off the back... goodness... are you absolutely positive?

~~E

i know, i'm confused. and believe me, there are such things as stupid questions...

4. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If it turns out you have an active bass, don't forget to unplug the chord from the bass when you're done playing or the battery will go dead.
    I had that problem when I bought my first active bass =P

5. Hi Chug_A_Lug, and welcome.
    Do not worry, I don't think your bass is active, so no battery to worry over. As far as the knobs are concerned, it is probably 1 for volume, 1 for tone, and 1 for panning between pickups.

I can't say for sure, but that's what I'm thinking. If you bought it from a store I would call them back and ask them or ask a local store if you bought it somewhere else.

Welcome to the wonderful world of electronics!

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe. No.

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Chug: Not familiar with that model (Fender has SO many models these days). But if the bass is active it will either have a special compartment on the back (either pop-up or with a screwed-in lid) as Jazzbo indicated, or else the battery mayl be stowed in the control cavity.

True story -- a buddy of mine picked up an old P-Bass a few years ago -- a real tractor. The thing had been tweaked and modded some. At one point the sound started getting really crummy and he couldn't quite figure out why. It was about the same time he was thinking about refinishing it though, and when he removed the pickguard he found a special rout for a pre-amp and battery -- the bass was active and he hadn't known, and the battery had given up the ghost!!! Too funny. We still laugh about it.

Bottom line: if you're not sure and skittish about fiddling with it, take it to a reputable tech and have him look it over for you and show you what he finds.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Chug - The Fender site says nothing about your bass being active (w/battery). It is passive. You are correct, the plate at the base of the neck is for truss rod adjustment. There aren't any electronic components in there.

I guess the problem is with your Crate amp. ONe thing you can do is make sure it's not the way you have it set. If you have tried using it without the limiter turned on/up, try it without it. And if it's one of those Crates with all the effects, turn those off and see what happens. If using it without those turned on doesn't rectify the volume loss, try using it without the contour and defeat switches/knobs engaged/on.

If you still have the volume problem after trying to isolate which knob/control is the problem, I suggest taking the problem up either with the dealer who sold it to you or with the Crate company. You sound like you haven't had it long. The dealer or Crate should support you.

BTW, the 3 knobs on your bass? The one closest to the butt of the bass is volume for your bridge pup, and the other 2 are for your P-style/neck pup and tone.

9. everyone's been really helpful! thanks a lot!

i'll try to check everything out when i get the time (heck, i got that ten page paper to write still... and these forums are dreadfully interesting--more so than my paper). but i do appreciate everything everyone has suggested and said!

stay sweet...

~~E