Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active basses and effects pedals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archon113, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm not sure if this should go here or in the effects forum, but as it seems to be a bass-related issue I think this is the best place for it.

I have recently acquired an Akai Unibass pedal and I'm having difficulties using it with my Maverick. For those of you who don't know, the Unibass doubles the bass signal an octave higher, then gives you the option to add a harmony to that octave part (either a 5th above or a 4th below), and it also has built in distortion for the effected signal.

The problem I'm having is this: because of the high output of my active bass, even when I turn the output volume for the octave part up to full, it is still considerably quieter than the clean bass signal. There is a control on the pedal for input level, but this doesn't affect the volume of the bass signal.

I don't have two channels on my amp, so running the octave part into a seperate channel at a higher level isn't an option. I also don't want to have to turn the volume down on the bass, as this makes the active EQ have much less of an effect. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just bought a used DOD FX25 and I'm having a similiar problem. It is VERY quet when engaged, and it takes alot of forceful playing with the sensitivity all the way up to get any effect at all. It feeds back alot and is basically completely useless.

3. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    It's not a problem with the pedal itself, but with the fact that I'm using an acive bass. I tried it out with my friend's passive Jazz bass copy and the balance was much better - if I turned the output up to full the octave signal was much louder than the bass one.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I'm getting the same thing, and I think it's due to the active electronics. I even get a SOMEWHAT improved performance when plugging into the active/passive jack rather than the active jack on my amp.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    right,in my case i plug in the pasive jack and this fix any problem with FXs and the bass sound sweet.