Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active basses - when to change battery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    How do you know when your bass needs a new battery? really, I don't know - how does it act when the battery starts to go? (passive P/U's w/ active EQ)

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Depends. Many of them distort when the batteries start to go, especially when you dig in hard.

Some just get quieter before dropping out altogeter.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lick the battery. If it bites you really good, it is OK. If it only bites a little, time to replace it.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The top-of-the-line Duracell batts are so good that docs use them in heart pacemakers.

As Chararms says, the batteries let you know when you get distortion. A lot of jokers, such as I, replace them every 8 months whether or not we hear distortion.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i keep one battery in my bass and one in my case. i keep one bass for practice and one for shows, that way the one for shows is never really drained much. If my battery dies during a show....lets just say i have a bad temper. If my batter dies during practice no biggie. Ive wondered this question also. my stingray is a 2001 model and i havent changed the battery yet.

6. Rick.........

Where's y' been these past few months?:D

Most modern onboard actives don't take that much current. With everyman and his dog going ecology crazy these days, electronics designers try their best to use low power chips.

I'd also adopt the approach of changing batts every (say) 6 months. They're cheap enough to buy, and to keep a spare in your bag.

(Tell you how I did get caught...forgot to change the batts in my little korg tuner and didn't have spares with me :eek: )

John

7. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    What you could do is get a rechargable battery(s) and change them when the run out. Or if you have a custom one made you can have it witha adapter plug that goes into the battery to charge it, meaning you never need to unscrew the whole bass:D

8. licking the battery shortens it's life span.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ridin aroung in a van from one college town to the next, making sure those studenty activity fees get spent on us.

Other than that - 2 weks in the hoptal with a bad ticker
    :rolleyes:

Yourself???

10. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I just switch from active to passive every once in a while. If my bass is louder in passive mode, I know it's time to change the battery soon.

Of course, that only works if you have a switch.:D

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ever hear Larry Graham's tone on either "Dance To The Music" or "M'Lady"?
    ...if you're gettin' that kinda vibe, change the battery.

(Besides the distortion, you should also notice a very discernible drop in the bass' output).

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've currently have 3 active basses. IME, i just change the battery every 6 months or so whether or not i really need to or not is up in the air. The main thing i'm trying to do is never have a bad battery in the bass. That being said i also keep a spare battery in my case or if it's a performance in my pocket [my main bass now is a ray5-all i have to do is unplug and i can change the battery in under a minute]. I use Energizer E2s-not really sure how much better they work, it's more or less the ease of mind sorta thing.

That's all

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    in your pocket?! once i did that and i had some loose change in my pocket too and it almost burnt me. i sat down after the gig and i was like..."ouch!" just dont do that. make sure its the only metal object in that pocket. my peavey millennium takes 2 9-volts...but it is dead quiet. i bought a box of the duracell procells off of ebay and i keep 2 spares in my case with a screwdriver if ever there is a problem. with my cort curbow, back in the old days, my battery only died once and it was during a practice. it gave me no warning. my bass just didnt work any more, so i just changed the battery and all was good. i had an extra battery in the gigbag so it wasnt a problem, other than the fact the band had to wait on me. if i had it my way, i would have battery boxes on my bass so i could just pop em out and in. but, i dont want to deal with that right now.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Notabob

I make sure all my change, keys, etc are in the other pocket just for that reason. :)