Active blend-pan

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Moo, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Besides John East and Demeter does anyone make an internal preamp with an active pickup blend? I'm getting real annoyed with the volume drop in the center.

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Something new for me, an active blend. So I assume this must boost the signal to give even volume output regardless of setting?

Recently transplanted a Bart TCT harness into a Schec that has Bart M34C soaps. Only soap bass I have, mostly PJ. Have not had the volume drop experience with transplanted harnesses with my PJs. Of course there's the volume drop going to the bridge pup. So it's always somethng. But the sound is fat with more apparent volume with PJs at the detent. Not only does the volume drop with the soaps, it muddies up considerably. Recently installed and haven't checked wiring again for out of phase or whatever. Don't know if this has any bearing on your situation, but it might.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's more that it lets you mix / match pickups of different impedance (active&passive or passive & piezo). Also eliminates the issues with passive blend controls.

to Moo: Bartolini make an active blend circuit. It's a little input buffer which sits ahead of the blend pot. The MTD basses use an NTMB preamp plus the buffer for an active blend.

If you look here: you'll see what I'm saying.

On their 'electornics components' page at they list the AGDB unit (adjustable gain dual buffer). They don't appear to sell any prewired 'harnesses' with that in it, but you could either give Tom Wagner (their distributor) a call or try someone like Brian at

Hope that helps
  4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It helped a lot. I forgot about the active buffer barts and for some reason thought they just did the NTBT stuff. So I cruised the site, saw the TBIBT and remembered I have one in the bottom of my parts box that's a decade old :)

So except for the sign of my brain rotting this had a happy ending.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I've spent my share of time at Every page. But it's slim pickings for stooges looking for explanations. Your post reminded I was trying to find out exactly what a buffer does and had gone to that page. I had acquired a Bart harness from a Gibson Tobias Classic 5 that had a DTA1.3 buffer (or 3.1, whatever) and was getting some distortion once installed. All Bart XTCT-LZ (per bart site) except with a Gibson 3 wire mid unit. Got tired of jacking with it and yanked it for a TCT unit and used the Gibson for mid with no problem with the harness except that volume drop/muddyness with the blend mentioned previously. So what exactly does a buffer do?
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Actually the MTD Basses does not use a NTMB preamp.The Preamp is actually design by Bartolini for Mike Tobias.Now there may be a couple of similaraties, but thats about it.