Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"active" defined

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by s_boy, Apr 23, 2002.

1. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    i have an ibanez edb 605. it uses active 'eq' with passive p/ups.

my question is...

since my peavey amp has an active/passive switch... should i select active? i am fairly sure it is designed to be used with active p/ups so i'm not sure which way to go.

selecting passive is definitely louder :D.

2. Your bass is active, and therefor the actice jack seems more appropriate, but I would use the passive jack.

The active jack just has a 15db or so cut. I say use the passive jack.

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I have EMGs in my bass and I find better when I use the 12 db cut on my amp, it gives a less muddy sound. I'd say try both and see which one gives a sound you like better.

Dave

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    There is a reason why there are 2 inputs.

Passive is for Passive basses

Active is for active basses

Since I have an active bass, i put my cord in the active jack :p

DM

5. Strangely, SWR recommends that most active basses go in the Passive jack; only super-high-output preamps--Ovation, Tune, Kubicki, etc.--should go in Active.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I plug all of my basses, active or passive, into the passive jack, on all of my amps.

7. s_boy

s_boy

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    yea this is the rationale behind my thoughts on this subject. since only the eq is active on my ibanez bass... it is definitely not "hot" like a p/up preamp set-up.

i think i'll stick to the passive side of the preamp!

any more thoughts... continue to chime in!

8. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    yeah, thats the way the swr i use is one jack for active/passive and the other just says active and is for really high outputs. whether or not this should be applied to all amps is beyond me

9. My Crate BFX50 only has one input it does,however,
    have an "active" push button which allows you to shape and contour the sound.I usually use this when playing my active Ibanez through it and deactivate it when playing the P through her.

10. The passive/active inputs on some amps should probably read something like "normal" and "padded" or "-10" or something. That would be a better way to do it. Active basses do not have inherently higher output than passive basses. Some do, some don't. I had a 71 P-bass that had an EMG pickup in it, a buddy had practically the same bass and put a SD quarter pounder in it. The the quarter pounder had way more output than the EMG and it's passive. Any G&L in passive mode is hotter than most active basses. I could see someone building an amp with a "passive" input with a much higher input impedence than the "active" input though. That would make sense. Passive basses have higher output impedences than active ones, so it makes sense to have an input with higher impedence. Having relatively high input impedence compared to the bass' output impedence maximizes voltage swing at the input and minimzes current transfer. This is a good thing. this is why consoles have input impedences of 2000-5000 Ohms and many mics have output impedences of less than 200 Ohms. :D Sorry, bit of a rant....

11. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    The active input on the amp has less gain and a lower input impedance. The passive input on an amp has more gain and a higher input impedance.

This means you can connect your active bass to either one provided that the output of the actives is not so high that it overloads the passive input amp causing distortion.

Now if you plug your passive bass into the the active jack, expect to lose volume and high frequency reponse since it will load the pickup coils more agressively.

Theory aside, do whatever produces the sound you like.