Active elctroninic battery compartment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowner, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I bought this awesome Yamaha bass at a pawn shop fro next to nothing and the only major thing wrong is that the battery compartment is missing which causes the battery to fall out while playing. Can I get a replacement or what what is a good substitute for the battery cover?
  2. Okay; first, how can the whole "compartment" be missing? Is it just the cover? If so, have you contacted Yamaha? Try checking their website for parts info. Check with a local guitar shop and see if they have parts laying around, or they will probably have contacts to get parts. I'm not familiar with the interior of the Yamaha bass, especially without the model number, so your best bet is to probably check with a guitar shop in your area. If you give me the model number or style of the bass, maybe I could "google" some info and help out a little if I find anything. I think Yamaha's put out quite a few bass styles.

Oh, yeah; McGyver says, "Duct tape works wonders!"

Good luck.
  3. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I meant the battery compartment cover. Excuse me for being a bad typist. My fingers don't move over the keys on my keyboard as fast as my brian thinks. Its the battery compartment cover thats missing.
  4. One can be made from lots of materials around the house and home shop -

Pickguard material
    Wood veneer
    Hard thin plastic of any kind:
    Another cavity cover
    An old toy
    An old record
    A CD
    A CD case
    A cassette case
    An old samsonite suitcase
    An old briefcase
    A thin piece of aluminum

To make a pattern simply tape a piece of light paper across the cavity and get a dirty finger - that's right, a dirty finger - and rub the edge of the cavity through the paper to make a nice line showing the exact shape of the opening. Tape this to the new material and cut it out with a sharp X-acto knife. If it's got round corners, cut it square first, then round the corners. For the holes, you can eyeball the general location and drill a small hole - then see how it lines up. Of course if you used clear plastic it won't be a problem but if it doesn't, just start enlarging the hole by reaming it out a little at a time until you expose the screwhole in the body. If you've got a countersink bit to make the beveled hole great! If not, just use a larger drill bit by hand and spin it between your thumb and forefinger to enlarge the top side of the hole. Then mount it with a couple of pickguard screws and go play.

OR, go to a repairman and pay him $20 to do the same thing. ;)
  5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    See what happens when you have someone to do the thinking for you?
  6. On my Yamaha, the battery cover is a clip-in design, as i believe it is on many of the others. Your DIY design would only work on those if you made screw holes in the bass, which i would not recommend.
  7. Well now, wouldn't that have been a nice piece of info to have in the first place? Geez, do you think this is a two way TV or something? :rollno: