Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active elecs, preamp, amp, etc???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Mar 11, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I currently have a Music Man Sterling that I play through a SWR Workingman's 15. I'm looking at getting a large rig since my 15 is petering out when we get loud.

What is the role of the preamp vs the amp? I gather the preamp effects your tone primarily and the amp powers the signal through the speaker. Correct? What about the electronics on my Sterling? They require a battery and I assume this also serves as a preamp. Is my bass' preamp--> racked preamp---> an amp too much gear? Why should I choose to use all or the above. I'm confused...all I really want is ripping sound for another 2 grand or so (I'm keeping the bass of course). I'm having gear overload....HELP!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, once again.

Bass active internal preamp:

- EQ, with cut/boost bass, (mid), treble. Passive EQ usually can only but frequencies - e.g. Fender tone pot.
    - amplifies the signal a little, sometimes up to line level.

- changes the high impedance signal of passive pickups to low impedance

The latter avoids loss of highs in the cable, so the bass sounds more open. Less environmental interferences also.

Preamp:

Roughly the same as above, but amplifies the signal more, up to line level (usually 0.775V).

Poweramp: Further amplifies the signal from the preamp.

All this is a perfectly good setup, no overkill. You just have to decide if you want a rack-system with preamp and poweramp or a head.

A head has preamp and poweramp in one housing.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    THANKS!!

i'm obviously not a gear head, so...

no, i obviously don't know fundamentals of amplification, so...

is a power conditioner necessary? is it like a circuit breaker in that it protects my gear from electricity spikes? does it have any other role?

uggh, this is why i've stayed with combos so long..i hate making expensive decisions.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually you don't need a power conditioner.

It's not so different from using a combo, it's just more modular.