Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Electronic Book Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Feb 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Any recs on decent books for active electronics? Guitar Electronics For Musicians I have - virtually nothing about active electronics.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are you looking for input on onboard preamp design, or ???

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Just something that would address the nuts and bolts of active onboard electronics. Little black boxes: preamps, mids, buffers, small circuit boards - what are these things and all these wires actually doing? I'd like to develop some understanding of what's going on instead of just chimping some wiring diagram.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

OK, I wasn't sure you were using the term correctly, but you are. There have been a few threads in the effects forum addressing this, but what the heck.

The IC Op-Amp Cookbook, by Walter Jung, and The Active Filter Cookbook, by Don Lancaster are both good starting points; those are more or less the classics. The National Semiconductor and Texas Intruments sites have downloadable application notes and data sheets, which is where much of the stuff in those cookbooks came from.

Also, take a look at Firebottle.com, in the EFX forums, and in the reference section. For kits, with good circuit analysis and building tutorials, check out ESP.

Good luck, and have fun. I've been building many of my own pieces of audio gear for quite a while. It's amazingly satisfying to DIY. I think you'll find that you rarely break completely free of aping existing designs, but you do eventually get to where you excercise some creativity. Making lots of mistakes is the best way to learn, in my experience. I wish I could duplicate an awful lot of widgets that I "fixed."

--Charlie Escher

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Will followup, appreciate it.