Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active electronics=active or passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lil'bass, Feb 1, 2004.

1. I was pretty sure i know the difference between active and passive but without trying to sound like a complete dunce, my new bass has ACTIVE electronics but PASSIVE pickups. So do i plug into a passive or active input? Whenever i plug into a high gain or passive input there is a flappy distortion at the bottom end, but this may be due to the cab being different specs to my new head, or is it due to my passive/active confusion? My new head doesnt have a choice of inputs, but does have a gain dial, any suggestions? Thanx in advance for your time x

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Hohner has active electronics and i plug it into the active input.

3. thanx for the quick reply mate. I noticed you have an ampeg head as well. Unfortunately mine only has one input doesnt specify active or passive, but has a dial gain control, any suggestions?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well active inputs usualy are marked with -15 db. As for the gain, i would probably just keep it below half.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Plug it into whichever sounds best to you. I usually never use the "Actice Input" input on any bass amp I 've owned.

If you're getting too much distortion, lower the Gain Control lower & keeop the Master higher.

6. If your amp has a 'clip' light next to the gain control (and i hope it does), read on...if not, ignore me...

plug in your bass, and turn the master fairly low. adjust the gain knob to be as high as possible without clipping, and then adjust your volume with the master.

this way you're getting max headroom from your bass. if you've set the gain properly, then you know you're not clipping at the amp, so if it still clips, it's further down the signal chain. could be the cab........