Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active electronics and maple boards in rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I guess this is a question for all you Sadowsky and Lull guys mainly, but how do you cope with a maple neck and fretboard with active electronics?

I guess this was sparked when today I took my bass to The LowEnd and had my preamp changed from Bass/Treble/Mid to Bass/Treble/Tone. The difference is stunning to me! I roll the tone down 1/20th and it takes ear cutting snap out of the maple. While I had the B/T/M preamp I could roll off the treble, but this tended to change the overall tonality of the instrument.

2. Most Sadowsky's have a passive treble roll-off, as does my Celinder. I would not like those basses as much (maple board or not) without that control... and I totally agree with you that it provides a very different tone than 'turning down the treble' in a cut/boost active circuit. Many preamps, even the three band active ones, have this option (Pope, etc.).

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    I was mainly talking about the non-VTC basses, but I'm glad someone else agrees with me. :D

4. +1... I think it also depends on your amp/cab. It you are playing an SVT with an 810 (sealed, no tweeter), not having that control would be less of an issue versus an Epifani or EA, etc. cab with a 'hi fi' solid state head, for example.

Markbass has done a cool thing.. they basically put this type of control on their amps... I think they call it a Vintage Cab Control' or something. Same concept... to gently roll off the treble to warm the sound up. Very cool.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Indeed. I was reading about that in BP. Don't they have the same control for a more HiFi sound too?

6. I think the other control you are talking about is the standard 'enhance' type 'smiley face' control like on the Thunderfunk/Eden, etc. They are very useful too if you don't overdo it. I'm looking forward to trying one of those heads... they haven't made it to the US yet (at least they aren't easily obtainable yet).

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I find the VTC in my Sadowsky (ash/maple) a very useful feature to get a lot of different tones: warmer & more vintage.
    On the other side, when I'm playing with my band (drums, 2 acoustic/clean electric guitars) the more songs we play the more I find myself rolling back in the VTC. That bite of the ash/maple is what make the notes clearer and the pitch more defined.

I love the VTC, even more the first couple of weeks after clanging the strings, but I think that you can live without it.

NOTE: I've finding a lot of great new tones lately by rolling off the VTC almost completely and adding active treble to compensate for the lack of definition. Clear notes without the 'clank'.