1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Electronics for Yamaha RBX760A

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thesteve, Jul 18, 2012.

1. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Just picked up a Yamaha RBX760A today that needs at least two pots replaced (one is missing, other just seems really loose).

The Yamaha site describes the controls as follows:
    "Volume, pan, bass cut/boost, treble boost/cut"

The two pots that seem to be working correctly have a center detent.

Anyone have ideas as to what the correct pot values might be for this bass? It has dual active humbuckers.

2. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I was reading elsewhere on the web (trying to find stuff out about active pickups in general), and it sounded like this bass might actually have passive pickups with an active EQ circuit. If that's the case, should I be able to just find any 4 knob active EQ circuit and put it in for the current one?

If that's the case, any recommendations for a solid, 4 knob active EQ circuit (probably would be 2-band EQ)?

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I had a 760A that was my first "good" bass. Really liked it until the neck twisted...Since then the pickups and electronics have been scavenged into a few bass projects.
    IIRC they are just standard pots, barring the ones with PCB attached. I'll dig out the Fender J defret project that it's currently living in and double check tomorrow sometime.

They *are* just passive pickups, so yes, any pre you can put in there should do the trick - I happened to like the sound of Yamaha's pre, so for the cost of a couple of pots it's be worth fixing.

The schematics used to be on Yamahas site - I"ll check also to see if I still have them, if Yamaha no longer hosts them for some reason...

4. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I managed to find the schematics for it off of another site.

Unfortunately the pot that's missing is the treble boost/cut control (and its attached circuit), so I'm not sure how to go about replacing it. I found a Belcat active 2-band EQ on eBay for really cheap (which is where I'm at right now on this bass). It doesn't have much in the way of reviews here besides the old "you get what you pay for" from people who haven't actually used it.

I'm shooting cheap on this for now because I don't have much interest in dropping more on an active circuit that I did on the bass (which was $80).