Active electronics or Bubinga body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexvs, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Now I have decided wich bass I'm gonna buy next year.... almost.

So, I think I've decided to buy a Warwick Corvette Std. I have tried a passive one, and it was great. The only bad thing about it was that it (or the amp, a Hartke 2000) was making prety much noise. Would that change if I'll buy one with active electronics (and passive pickups)?
    Or should I go for a pasive Corvette with a Bubinga body?
    The Corvette I tried had a US-Swamp Ash body.

A little note:
    Corvette Std. Bubinga body, Passive: USA = $1199
    Sweden = $975
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Hartke 2000 Model does not produce any noise at all really, I really think it was the bass.
    But having to choose between Electronics and A Bubinga Body.. I would have to choose both. I like Active and I like bubinga. I would not be happy If i didnt choose em both.

I suggest you look for a Warwick at
    Are you gonna buy it in Sweden? IF so.. I suggest you get the Swamp Ash Warwick with Active Electronics.
  3. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Why should I buy Swamp Ash body with active electronics just because I live in Sweden?

Maybe I should buy Bubinga active after all.....

Would active electronics reduce the noise???
  4. I have a Corvette Standard 5 with the bubinga body and the active electronics (which are bypassable) and it's pretty quiet. The noise could be a result of many things. Maybe the volume and tone pots need to be cleaned or maybe the outlet that the amp was plugged into has some problems. Try another amp with the Warwick and then try another bass with the amp just to be sure.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What kind of noise? Actives usually add some noise, since they add circuitry. Well shielded passive systems are very quiet. Of course there are a lot of production basses that ere poorly shielded, even some expensive ones.

Rule of thumb on noise: Turn the amp up with no bass plugged in, still hear the noise?
  6. Franklin

Nov 13, 2000
    I bought a corvette standard 4(passive, bubinga) this past August. Got it for $780. I really like the bass. It sounds great and I find it very versatile (especially in combination with the amp I use) but I beleive I have the same noise/buzz/hum that you noticed. I checked the amp (Fender Bassman 400) and it doesn't make any noise unless I tell it to, so I'm pretty sure it's from the bass. I'm not sure how to fix it, I just sent warwick an email asking about the noise, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm game!
  7. I'm also going to buy a Warwick Corvette Standard! Is there any sound-difference between Ash and Bubinga? Can anyone help me with my problem?
  8. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Really good choice, the entry level Warwicks are really good deals in Europe, competing with basses 2x the price.

I prefer the passive Corvette (with bubinga body) which has more natural tone. I'm surprised about your noise problems because my Vette is completely silent with my Trace Elliot amplification. A grounding problem perhaps? I live in Finland and i paid 4700FIM (about 700$) for my Warwick back in 1995. I'd get the bubinga model because it has more 'Warwick' kinda sound, while the ash bodied has more traditional jazz vibe (it's really matter of taste, you could like the ash sound more.).

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As for the wood, depends on what you want. Bubinga is noted for pronounced, "Low-lows" and articulate highs. Swamp ash is characteristically bright and punchy. The bubinga is certainly more exquisite looking, in my opinion. As for the noise, that could be some interplay between the pu's and the amp. "Roundup the usual suspects," the pickups.
  10. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I know what the noise was. The shop has a problem with the lights, so the pickup took up sounds from the lights..... tested the amp, didn't make any noise at all (almost....)

Rock on dudes, and thanks for the help!!

Alex vs