Active electronics/pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rjl1160, Jan 18, 2005.

1. rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    I have an Ibanez SR900 with the passive Bartolini pickups and active electronics, I really like the bottom-end sound I get, but would going to active pickups help even more? - and if so does Bartolini or someone else make active pickups that will fit right in to my bass without any modifications?

Thanks, RJ
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend against changing out Bartolini pickups. If you want better sound out of an Ibeenhad .. er.. I mean Ibanez, change out the elctronics instead.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe the SR900 has a Bartolini preamp as well.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe get a new bass?
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

Help what even more? What is it that you'd like out of the bass that you're not getting now?

6. rjl1160

Jan 1, 2005
    More bottom end.
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't think changing the Barts that are in there will necessarily give you a whole lot more bottom end. In general, the effect of active pickups (as opposed to an active EQ) is to give you a cleaner high end and brighter, more "hi fi" tone, not more lows. Have you:

1) Played with the EQ on both the bass and your amp?
    2) Tried different pickup blend settings?
    3) Tried different strings, i.e. a heavier guage, or even something like flatwounds?
    4) Experimented with different playing techniques, like playing closer to the end of the neck?

A lot of this stuff is fairly obvious, and I apologize if it seems like I'm treating you like a beginner, but your profile doesn't really give any indication how much experience you have or how familiar you are with bass gear.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    First, your pickups are not top of the line bartolini pickups. Me thinks they are made in Korea based on a bartolini design. Much much much better than the stock Ibanez pickups, but not the same as the pickups you see with b a r t o l i n i in large raised letters accross the entire pickup like on a MTD or Roscoe.

Second, "Active" pickups are not "better" than "passive" pickups. Replacing passive pickups with active pickups is not a upgrade, it is a change in tone. They sound different. It has been pointed out how they sound. Also, active pickups sound fairly more similar with different bass woods and different playing styles than passive pickups. Passive pickups seem to respond differently more than active pickups do to different woods and different types of playing.

Third, we bass players are fairly stupid when it comes to our sound. What we like in our own house or alone at sound check may be too round, too mid scooped, too low end to sound good in a mix with distorted guitars. Many of the guys who like the Bergantino cabinets like them because of how they sound in the mix, not just how they sound alone. Something to think about.

Fourth, you want low end punch, get a Roscoe with bartolini pickups and a bartolini or Demeter preamp with a Spanish Cedar body. Period.

Fifth, if you want the top of the line bartolini pickpus, measure your pickups and email the guys at:

After looking here: Drawings_wDims.pdf

Your pickups are not the dimensions of the bartolini pickups shown on the web site, but maybe they can get them for you. Yours are more narrow. I would think that they would be the BC or P4 dimenisons.

Now go here to look at what pickups are available for your size:

I am not sure your ability and experience or other gear. I would recommend getting a good or better amp before spending money on new pickups. The ones you have are pretty good.

10. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
  11. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    are these the same pickups used on the sr905, im thinkin of gettin one. how large are the pickups ive looked on the sites tim99 provided but the mk1 pickups dont exist. i would prefer to have emgs rather than barts purely for sound reasons but im not sure of the dimensions of the mk1s someone help