1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Electronics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I own a soundgear 4 string with an active circuit and I find that every bass I've played with an active circuit lacks clarity on the lows and sounds like a tin can when I play with a pick!
    I never had this problem with my J-Bass. I don't know what to do. I was thinking about getting my MIM Jazz back or could this problem be due to the fact that I'm playing through a MArshall guitar amp?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

What basses have you played with active electronics?

I have a Pedulla Rapture, a Zon Sonus Custom and a Peavey Cirrus, and they all sound richer and fuller than my passive basses.

I also have an Ibanez SR506 and an Electra Westone fretless with preamps, and my passive basses sound better than they do.

Also, you are using a Marshall guitar head, are you using guitar cabinets too? Bass doesn't sound that great through guitar cabs, they don't have the bottom that you need for a good bass tone.

3. It might very well be that you're using a Marshall guitar amp. IMO there's nothing that makes active or passive electronics sound inherently better--some preamps just sound bad, while some passive systems are just magic. In my experience, as a general rule, I prefer to use passive for recording and actives for live. My passive basses (Noel Redding Jazz, Mike Lull Jazz, Modulus Genesis VJ) seem a little warmer than my actives, and are a little easier to work with just because they have a more squashed frequency response. For live playing, I appreciate the tonal versatility from the onboard preamp.
    So again, as embellisher has already said, each active or passive bass must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
    I would take care of the amp first, though.
    fc

4. IMHO active electronics boost volume too, Along with that they just give you more control over your tone.