1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active EMG's and an Aguilar OBP 3..... help...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Okay quickly.... I just purchased a set of EMG 45tw's and want to pair them with the Aguilar OBP 3 preamp. The EMG's require 25k pots I believe, does the Aggie allow for that? Aguilar includes 50k pots but these won't work with the EMG's right? I'm going to be buying the pots soon which is why I need to know. Thanks in advance!

2. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    Unless you bought the EMG's used, they will come with the proper 25K pots.

3. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    So it doesn't matter if I use one of the push/pull volume pots as a Mid pot?

4. The Aguilar preamp uses 50k pots for it's EQ.
    You still use 25k pots for your volume(s), but you could use 50k pots if you wanted.

5. It does. You want a pot with a center detent for your EQ, and I would assume that the EQ pots have a linear taper, while pots used for volume generally have an audio taper.

6. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    It depends on how you want to wire it.

For the Aguilar tone controls, you keep its 50K pots.

If you have 2 volumes in front of the Aguilar, you just use the 2 push/pulls that come with the EMG's. Otherwise, if you want to use a blend or something, you need to get something to switch the TW modes.

7. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I don't know half as much as you do about this stuff, but I am assuming the same thing as you...I forgot about a center detente for the EQ knobs. Here's what I plan to do since the EMG's allow for coil tapping:

Volume push/pull (coil tap for Neck pickup)
    Blend
    Mid push/pull (coil tap for Bridge pickup)
    Stacked Bass/Treble
    Switch for Mid Freq. Select
    Switch for Preamp Bypass

According to you all and further research, I'm assuming I need a 25k push/pull for the Volume, a 25k for the Blend, a 50k push/pull for Mid, and a 50k stacked pot for Bass/Treble...did I say this correctly:confused:

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You'll already have a 50k p/p for mids.

Check here for the other stuff:
    Potentiometers - Pots | Jacks | Switches | Shielding

Blend Pot (25K) - $8
    EMG Volume Pot w/ Push-Pull DPDT Switch (25K) - $20
    Stacked EQ Pot- $18
    Standard Stereo Output Jack - $2
    Mini On-On (2 Way) Flat Switch - Chrome- $8.50

Can't link straight to that stuff on their site, but search those phrases to see the pictures of them.

9. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Thanks I had previously checked out bestbassgear.com, just for the 50k pots.... I'm good now, I appreciate all the help guys! I'll be doing some before and after vids since I don't see too many vids on youtube about these types of upgrades.