1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active EQ: Boost & Cut VS. Boost only?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    This is just a general question as I'm not looking to upgrade or buy anything new (for the moment!), but my main player right now is a Stingray and I guess I always just assumed a 3 band cut & boost type EQ was the norm. Other than the Stingray I've always played passive basses, so I'm relatively unfamiliar with the intricacies and variations within the realm of Active EQ's.

The other day I was perusing the Alleva Coppolo site and came across the description of their preamp. This line struck me as interesting:

What makes it better? Does an active "cut" somehow affect tone in a negative way? I'm pretty happy with my stingray's EQ, but I am curious. And -- I'll use the Alleva Coppolo as an example here -- on a bass with a 2 band boost EQ I assume that in order to "cut" the mids you'd boost the treble and bass, right? So would there be any way to boost the mids with such a setup? Or do I have it all wrong?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Hmm... well, if it's boost only, you couldn't boost the mids with a 2-band...

I'll stick to my Stingray 3-band boost/cut EQ. I value the option of cutting frequencies!

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    yeah, with my stingray I tend to roll off a lot of treble and sometimes roll off a little bit of mids while boosting the bass... gives me a nice thick tone and eliminates the nasty pick clank.

i guess i just wonder what the advantage of a boost only eq would be, because it seems like a lot of high end EQ's are setup that way. (like sadowksy, IIRC).

4. I recall George Furlanetto (I think) saying that his eq was boost only because after getting a great tone building his bass, he wouldn't want to take away from that, only add to it. I have boost-only on my J, had boost/cut on my SR5, slightly prefer boost-only. Just my preference.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I can see how this would be a good setup for a fingerstyle or slap player, but as I use a pick 95% of the time I think I'd need a way to cut down on the pick noise to keep from overwhelming the warm goodness.

Do these setups ever incorporate a passive tone control in conjunction with the active EQ?

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Sadowsky

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was going to say the same thing, that a pro who has a tech to "dial in" their standard sound, all you would logically need is boost-only. However, for the rest of us who don't have that opportunity boost/cut is the best available setup for our basses.