1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active EQ emulation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BlaqueKnight, Jul 30, 2007.

1. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to emulate active EQ by adding a stomp box to my Fender Jazz Bass Special.
    I'm thinking of getting a Boss Bass Parametric EQ and combining it with my Bass Limiter Enhancer. I'm not sure if that will do the trick or not. I'm looking for a stompbox solution. I know I can get a rack piece but I'm trying to go the stompbox route. Any suggestions?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, any tone-shaping pedal would work theoretically.

Like the Raidal Tonebone, Sansamp BDDI, and any other outboard "preamp" like Fodera, Aguilar, Sadowsky, etc.

3. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Unless I'm missunderstanding the question, I imagine the parametric EX would be a pretty good bet for getting into the ballpark of the frequencies you're looking to alter. Its not going to be identical to having a Pre-amp in your bass, but it'll probly get close enough... I had a boss graphic EQ for a while, and got some pretty acceptable "active bass" sounds out of the precision.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Try an Aguilar outboard preamp!

5. To an engineer you just said "I want an EQ box." :) Emulation implies using DSP to re-create a particular sound - but I don't think that's what you're after, right? "Active" literally just means the circuit uses batteries.

"Emulate active EQ" is an odd choice of phrase, am I missing something important about what it is you want to achieve? While there's nothing unique about EQ controls in an active bass it makes it seem as if you have a particular bass, or a certain sound in mind. Care to elaborate?

6. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    Okay, since you don't think I was clear enough, I have a Fender Jazz Bass Special. As you already know (since you're an engineer), basses with active electronics in them sound different than basses without. Aside from boosting the signal, there is usually more control over the equalization (USUALLY) in Active EQ basses as well as a "Q" knob in some.
    Until I buy a bass with active electronics, I was trying to find a cost effective way to get MY basses to sound as if they have active electronics in them. I thought possibly of the use of a parametric EQ along with my current bass limiter/enhancer OR some preamp EMULATOR (Line 6 has them for guitar, so I thought maybe there is one for bass) would do the trick. The idea is to have control over the sound, to sound as close to a bass with active electronics as possible and be as portable as possible (stompbox). I'm not trying to spend a lot of money to do it. I'll probably pick up a Schecter Stiletto Elite or 004 later in the year. For now, I just wanted a quick solution. Got it?
    (thanks to everyone else who answered)

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You want an outboard preamp pedal, IMO, to get those onboard preamp tones in a pedal. In the case of EMG, though, their control packages really are just EQ controls - the preamp is in the pickups themselves. Other brands don't integrate the preamp into the pickup, so you'll see circuits in the control cavity for the preamp.

Many pickup manufacturers (Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, etc.) also have created pedal versions of their onboard preamps. As an example, the Seymour Duncan Paranormal Bass EQ / Direct Box.

8. Right, well I was just trying to help you dude. Sorry for trying to better understand your query and attempting to help you slim down the thousands of potential solutions...

Re-read my previous post without imposing your own aggressive inflection and you might see where I was coming from.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dude, lose the attitude now. An EQ pedal is an active device, end of story. You want EQ like an onboard EQ? You want an EQ pedal. You don't have to "emulate" anything, and you don't have to give snotty attitudes to people trying to straighten you out when you use incorrect terms for things.

10. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    Sorry if I came off harsh. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to try some of these stompbox solutions.

11. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    Alright, I checked out the Sansamp Bass driver. Its sorta what I'm looking for but it colors the tone a bit too much for me. I'm going to a boutique shop today to check out the Aguilar, the Bartolini, the Seymour Duncan and just for kicks, the EBS Microbass II. I'm not droppin' $400 on it but I'm gonna check it out anyway. Thanks for the leads, everybody. Nobody in town has a parametric EQ stompbox but I suspect that will do the trick as well without changing the tone of my bass too much beyond what it is like the Sansamp did.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, the SansAmp really is an amp in a box - it's much more than any bass preamp would be, right down to cabinet miking emulation.

13. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I would strongly recommend checking out the new Seymour Duncan Bass Paranormal Bass EQ Direct Box, I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

14. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    update for those interested:
    The store I went to didn't have the Bartolini, Seymour Duncan or the EBS in stock.
    I tested the Sadowsky, which pretty much did the trick and the Aguilar, which sounded a lot like the Sadowsky minus an on/off switch and a mute button. Of the two, I'd say the Sadowsky is the better buy just for the ability to be able to turn it on and off. Also, the Aguilar runs on two 9 volt batteries instead of one like the Sadowsky. It did have more "boost" though. I'm checkin' out the Boss Bass parametric EQ next. The Aguilar and the Sadowsky are both very nice pres. I liked them much better than the Sansamp because they don't color the natural sound of the bass the way the Sansamp does.

15. BlaqueKnight

BlaqueKnight

Jul 26, 2007
    Last update. I ended up settling on the Hartke Bass Attack. It didn't color the sound like the Sansamp but its a little noisy, unlike the Sadowsky and the Aguilar. I can't complain about the price ($70 new) because for what I paid, it does exactly what I was looking for it to do. Plus, you have a lot of control over the tone.