Active EQ problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slink, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I have a Fender Jazz with an active EQ. My EQ has lost most of it's power. Its down to about the same output as my passive channel. I've changed the battery twice that wasn't the problem.

The bass is 15 yrs. old, is it possible the EQ is worn out and needs replaced? Is this normal for these basses?
  2. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Solid state components usually don't quit. If they do, it's usually when they are new. That doesn't mean they never die.
    You can replace the preamp either with the stock pre available from the manufacturer or buy and aftermarket preamp such as an Aqular, Bartolini or Dementer. Any one of these is likely to be far better than the stock preamp.

No one really repairs cuircuts these days. Many of these preamps are encased in epoxy so they can't be repaired. For what it would cost to have a technician trouble shoot and repair your pre, you can replace it with a far better unit. If you can read a simple schematic, make a few solder joints and aren't color blind, you will be able to install it yourself in about an hour.

My guess is that your bass will sound far better than it ever did. I don't have experience with the Dementer preamp, but I own a Bartolini and an Agular. They Agular in a Jazz Bass sounds amazing. Very Marcus Miller sounding.

Hope this helps
  3. Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks, I think I'll try installing a new pre.