Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active eq problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

i bought an am dlx p bass used about 2 years ago. i was so starstruck by the bass it never occured to me it had problems. I frequently get a static-like sound coming from the bass, which can be corrected by smacking the mid control pot. I've taken in to the shop twice; both times I got a quick fix ("tightening" the pots ) and the problem returned a couple of weeks later. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it permantly corrected? So far the only option i see is switching out the eq. Thanx in advance for any replies. :)

2. There may be poor grounding. Chances are the shielding is off a little or something. Have someone take off the pickguard and check the aluminum foil. Whan you "tighetened" the pots, you probably pushed the foil back down, but it came off after a while. There are lots of people who are more knowledgeable than me about this subject and they might be able to elaborate.

3. Hmm sounds like grounding yes. Often there will be a wire soldered to the top of each potentiometer and then tied to a common ground point. I would be attacking all solder joints with a soldering iron. If there is no wire on the back of the tone control i would put one there.

Shielding possibly.

:D:D

Merls

4. If you have paid for these "quick fix" then take it back and make them fix it right this time!

A good tech should beable to tell you what is causing this to happen.

[​IMG]
    Treena