Active EQ Replacement Question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Sep 11, 2004.

1. I've had my Peavey Fury for about 5 months now, and I love the playability of it. Unfortunately, I've had the blend knob replaced two times by a Peavye tech and now it's starting to act up again... All of the other pots are starting to get scratchy, and cleaning has not helped. I'd like to just put a new active EQ into the bass. The pickups in the bass are active, so I don't know what type of EQ I need to buy for it to be compatible w/ the pickups... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. There's a huge list to choose from, Sadowsky, Bartolini, Aguilar OBP1 and 3, J-retro, etc. They should all be compatible with your pickups. What are you looking for? 3 band? Something hi-fi, or something more vintage?
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    A cheaper and simpler option if you're happy with the rest of the bass and it's sonics would be to change the pots again for some <i>quality</i> ones from Spectrol, Bourns, Vishay etc, rather than use the cheap crap that almost every instrument I've ever seen (and guitar shops stock) has in it.
  4. Well - that would be great! I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what I need to get for the EQ to be compatible... Like - does it just need to be designed for active pickups? I would like to throw some quality pots in there, but at the same time, I'd love to have a variable mid control and I think it would be easier to get an entire pre-designed EQ being that I want to replace everything but the pickups. Looking for a more vintage sound w/ variable mids...any suggestions? Thanks for all the responses!
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya

Do a search in the pickups forum as there's been a lot of threads covering this. A TB member 'luknfur' did some tests on some stuff, icl some preamps (use Dimento or Dimentos as a search parameter). It might not relate to what you're looking for exactly, but it will help educate as to some of the options, as will other threads. Spend some time reading. I can't help much with specific recommendations as I make my own preamps and am looking to keep the complication of EQ in the (rack) preamp itself now.

OTTOMH, some of the EMG and Aguilar stuff has sweepable mids.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

More of a Setup type thread. Moved.