Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active EQ settings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Michael Wiley, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Ok, here's my first shot at this.....was wondering how you all set your on-board EQ's..I run mine full up (bass-mid-treb), but I've heard this could lead to an untimely amplifier death...anyone else heard this?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Never heard that one before. Maxing all bands of EQ is similar to just turning the volume up. Generally speaking of course.

3. Thanks for the reply, that was my thinking too. I think the concern was that the increased signal would somehow fry the internals over time...With a -10 db pad, I really don't think it's an issue, but ya never know.....

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Really doesn't make a lot of sense and may hurt tone. Some good quality EQs remain tasteful at full bore, but many overdo it, especially in the bass band, and cause distortion. It could also throw a rather unusual frequency response curve, depending on where the frequency centers are and aren't.

I'd back it off to the center detent and use your ears to tweak it as necessary. When you're at 100% there's no where left to go.

5. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    When I had a Soundgear I did that to get what I thought was the best sound out of it, although at the time I only had two bands of EQ, and the electronics have gotten much better since I had my soundgear. On a better EQ system (Bartolini, EMG, the duncan Basslines systems) I tend to start flat, and just boost or cut little bits based on the sound I need.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It matters very little how I set it up because every EQ system will have different frequency centers, bandwidth, etc. so the the same setting on two different basses will likely provide very different results.

Instead, what I do is set the controls so that I get a similar kind of sound out of all my basses.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Brian that no two are necessarily the same. I have tried Wal basses and their active EQ is very strange and scoops parts of the frequency spectrum out - some Alembics are like this as well.

Also, my Tobias active EQ is nothing like, say a Fender. On the Tobias, the mid control has an effect on the overall volume and I did write to Michael Tobias about this and he explained that the circuit is not designed to work in the same way - it takes more tweaking, but in the end is more versatile.

On a lot of the cheaper active basses, I've tried - boosting the treble just produces a lot of hiss and noise. Whereas, high -end basses may not have this problem.

It all depends on the bass and you can't really generalise.

8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    What do people set their amps to?

I am getting a new active bass soon.

9. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Brad said:
    Never heard that one before. Maxing all bands of EQ is similar to just turning the volume up. Generally speaking of course.
    <end snip>

Except you'd get bumps at those three frequencies. Sounds like it could get muddy....

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Michael: With that pad you're probably right. It's doubtful that it would cause any damage, without giving you some strong signs beforehand.

dytakeda: You're right, that could be true...that's why I said "generally speaking";)(gotta leave wiggle room;))
    My Tobias 5 has an EQ that puts out no signal when all three controls are rolled off so it doesn't fit my general answer... or does it? Hmmmm

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    For me, flat. Here's the caveat... I have an amp that sounds great with the EQ flat, with the speakers I use. YMMV

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    EQ Flat? Does that mean set every knob to "0"?

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My Yamaha has 2-band EQ with which I usually boost lows. As the electronics are bit hissy I don't like to turn my bass boost to maximum, I rather tweak it to similar results by boosting bass and cutting highs.

I think if you want your EQ to be flat, it should be at middle position.

14. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks.

15. Well, it depends what kind of eq your amp has. If it has active EQ (cut and boost) then you put it in the centre, or zero. If it doesn't, the you set each knob to 5.

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Sorry - I tried for days but I just couldn't resist it "but these actives go up to 11"