1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZAR14, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM.

1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Recently spoke with a guy who is selling a Fender Jazz I may be wIlling to buy off of him. He said at one time it was an Active Jazz but now it is Passive.
    He said the electronics took a dump and he had a "Certified Tech" look it over and tell him it can not be repaired.
    Is that true, or is it possible to repair it and make it Active once again?

2. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Usually, the active preamps are more trouble to repair than they are worth, or the little module is built so there’s no access to the components. But they are cheap enough to buy and very easy to replace. And there’s a boatload of preamps out there to choose from.

If you can get a good price on the bass, it’s certainly worth buying. Lots of folks like passive Jazz basses just fine with no preamp. Have you listened to it in its current starters?

And you can always replace the preamp later.

TinIndian likes this.
  3. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I just started talking to this guy. I have yet to hear the Bass or even play it. But he is local so it's not an issue to meet up and play it.
    I believe he is asking $400 for it.
    P.S. he said it was made in Korea

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY! Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Were Fenders ever made in Korea?

5. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Not that I was aware of....

6. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    The Jazz Bass 24 was made in Korea, both 4 and 5 string versions. Nice looking basses produced in the 2002-2008 range (don’t quote me on that, just a guess). They had SD Quarter Pounders for PUs, and a cheap preamp that would fry if you put the battery in backwards (which was easy to do with the battery box they used).
    I have one and I took all of the controls out of it and put in DiMarzio model J’s. No knobs at all, just a 3 way selector switch. Here is a shot of mine when it was wearing Bart’s for a short period of time.

0E4F680D-F0F3-4AE4-A737-DE9E88241038.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 9:31 PM
  7. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    MiMike, that looks like the one I was asking about. I'm thinking perhaps instead of going with a used MIK burned out Fender 4 string Jazz, I'll go with a New Active 5 string Squier Jazz

8. Who knows exactly what was going on with this "tech" he took it too before however there is some truth to it overall. Active's generally are more to them then passives. I have preferred all my basses to be passive and my main now was converted from active to passive.

9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Replace the whole works- You get to choose your pre-amp.
    I'm always concerned about the title 'Certified Tech'. By whom? There is no national or international governing body. Is he saying he went to a trade school, or is he just making up a title? Some manufacturers will certify shops, and individuals (Taylor, and Martin for example), and some manufacturers will certify 'Warranty Centers'. If a person just says he's certified in 'guitar repairs', what does that mean? Ask him to explain. I give myself cool new titles almost daily!

10. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    You're right Paulabass. I gave myself the title of Kingsh*t until my Wife told me to sit down and Shut Up

11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    :thumbsup:Always go for the high and mighty title. Easier to apologize later. I have a customer coming over, so I am (for today at least)- Queen of all things fret, and miraculous boobage.

12. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    You go girl

13. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Those basses are nice, you can get a replacement active pre easily, and replacing the original is a common upgrade.

14. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    That's what I thought, but this guy said that the Tech told him it couldn't be fixed

15. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Somehow the owner had taken the tech’s statement out of context.

The tech mostly likely means that the original onboard preamp that came with the bass cannot be repaired. That makes total sense.

However, there’s no question, and several thousand TBers around here will agree, the old preamp can most certainly be replaced with another one.

My comment, which I believe was the first comment after your original post still stands.

TinIndian likes this.
  16. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I'm not going to debate what was or wasnt possibly taken out of context. That's what the guy told me and I questioned it, hence, My post.
    With that being said, I appreciate everyone's feedback, but I think I'll pass on that one and go for a new Squier Active 5

17. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Easy, my friend. There was no debate. Why the attitude?

The context comment was directed at the seller you are or were dealing with. You were correct in questioning him.

Whatever.

18. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    The bass itself is worth something without a working pre-amp. I prefer passive anyway, but as mentioned before, there are several options out there if you want it active again. Most replacements will be much better than the original one. I’m not sure if a battery mixup would fry any mfgs. pre-amp, but the battery box that they come with is not a good one (too easy to reverse it).
    I do believe $400 is too much money, especially with the issues. I paid $350 for mine (used) but in like new condition with a delux hard case.

ZAR14 and lokikallas like this.
  19. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Actually the first upgrade to my squire adjv was a pre as well. Obp3 sounds much nicer than stock.

20. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    It's all good Geri O. No Attitude, Don't assume anything. As I stated before, I appreciate all the feedback