Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active fretless basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i am on the hunt for another fretless. i want it to be active i like the really "hot" sound they have. i have been playing fretless for about 3 years on my little cheapo yamaha rbx260f (which has surprisingly good tone) so i don't need fretmarkers on it. htey don't help that much anyways. i would like a 5 string or a 6 string but am open to suggestions.

i heard a carvin 6 last night at a local theatre group doing tommy and it sounded great! but if i am going to drop that much dough on a bass it's not gonna be a carvin. any thoughts on the new tobias fretless basses? i know they aren't as good as they used to be but its woth a shot, only $699 new. but then again i am open to suggestions!
    Thanks guys!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps MTD Saratoga or Lakland Skyline, depending how much are you willing to spend?

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it won't be for a few months, around christmas... so about a grand. are laklands active? every one that i've seen was passive. i'm also thinking maybe alembic too...

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i got my flame top cArvin for600

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cort Curbow.

I once again advocate the Cort Curbow because I think it really is a bargain for what it is. The tone is extraordinary and the feel is just incredible. Please give this one a shot; even if you don't like it, once you buy the fretless you want, you'll know what the Cort felt like so you can feel better about your purchase.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You might want to check out a Musicman StingRay.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lakland Skyline 55 and 44 series are active, and most USA Laklands, are active too. Check out a Peavey Cirrus fretless, too. I like them almost as much as my Zon.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've seen quite a few of them sell for very reasonable prices and in good condition. You could always just add the preamp of your choice when ready. I picked up one a while back with an unlined rosewood board that I feel real good about. It sounds very good passive but I do plan to add an active preamp (A J-retro most likely) down the road.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks guys! i have played the fender, MM, and the cort curbow mentioned and while they are all great basses, they are not quite what i'm looking for. the peavey is a very nice bass that has a good chance. it sounds more of what i'm looking for. but thanks and keep them coming!

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it had the barts. i did like it but it was too transparent sounding for what i'm looking for. i'm thinking more along the lines of another warwick (an older one) or an alembic now. gotta get to the bass palace and see what they have in right now...
    thanks again guys! :)

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    You started out talking about basses that weren't too pricey so I didn't mention my favorite fretless.
    So, now that you are talking about Alembics (which can can get into some serious bucks), I'll say that you should check out a Wal.

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah i can do the cheap route now. but i would liek to wait until i can afford what i know i'm going to end up wanting after it... i'd love a wal, i played only fretted ones though. they are pretty scarce in my neck of the woods. do you know where they can be had readilly?