1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active Ibanez preamp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mav, Dec 22, 2016.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Here is a pic of the preamp in my 1986 Ibanez Axstar and my question can you tell me if the pickups are active (similar to EMG actives needing 9v to power them) and a suggestion for modding because the stock preamp is terrible.

photo%2010_zpslgzyh5cl.

photo%201_zpsz2feffft.

2. Do the pickups have a connection to the battery?

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    AFAIK,the PU's are passive (i don't see any "third wire" coming to the 9v source).The pic is,however,confusing because of the "rat's nest" - crowded wires impossible to identify,at least from this position.Of course,I might be wrong because of the lack of visibility.
    On the other hand,you'll have a hard time to choose another onboard preamp due to the very limited space in your bass' cavity.There are a few options (dimension-wise) wich could fit in there...however,please be aware about the lack of space when ordering.