1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

active into tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acexxxoasis, Oct 24, 2006.

1. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    does anyone here use an active bass into tube amps? does it sound good? anyone have some clips? does it distort the pre amp? do you guys stay passive mainly? thank you

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Chances are any effects in terms of the amount of level coming in to the amp from the bass can all be controled by the gain on the amp so from a level/distortion point of view I don't think active versus passive would
    make much of a difference. You want clean run the gain a little lower you wan't distortion run the gain a little higher. active basses would obviously require less of a gain boost to start the thing distorting unless of course you use the active input.

As for the sound I have no experience on that. But you should probably if it al possible try some active basses with tube amps then try some passive basses with some tube amps and see what you think granted easier said than done.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I think passive basses into tube amps are more common, but active basses are still used often enough with tube amps. All stingrays (save customs) are active, and plenty of people use those with tube amps. Also, vintage style basses with active preamps, such as Sadowskys, are used with tube amps all the time, and sound awesome. Modern tube amps have either input pads, or 2 separate inputs, to accomodate active basses, but even vintage amps are used with active basses to good effect.

4. I use an active stingray 5 into a 300 w Tube amp & an old '70's 200w tube amp- no probs on either!!! the 300w Fender Bassman has a pad for the actives & I use this-tho U don't have to & it will dirty up nicer & quicker!!!
    The ol '70's one doesn't have pad & I've had NO probs with it & actives for 15 yrs. In fact they BOTH sound FANTASTIC with either active OR passives!
    Rod.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    ive used actives and passives with my tube amp (Aguilar DB359), luckily, it has an active and passive input.

6. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    so I guess its more common than I thought because I love the sound of my tuber and I havent been able to try any active basses through it seeing as theres only 3 shops here within 50 miles ones basically all beginner instruments ones a fender dealer and the other is 900+ for their cheapest bass

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I use my Steinberger into a '68 Bassman 50w head at band rehearsals. It's the best bass sound I've been able to get so far (and by that I mean, my entire life to this point), and as soon as I find a modern amp, with real muscle behind it, that sounds like that setup, I'm buying it on the spot, regardless of cost. Unfortunately, I need more than 50w to gig with, and I'm unwilling to cart it around anyway since it's not easily replaced or repaired.

8. G&L L-2000 (hot output) into a Traynor YBA200. Sounds great.

9. I use a Stingray into an Orange AD200B and I love it, I actually prefer using my stingray with it more so than my Rickenbacker. It does have two imputs though, active and passive.

10. all my basses are active... no issue with the Classic 400. My old Sceptre input would have needed a buffer to be used cleanly.

11. Just a kwik note to further my earlier post:- my ols '70's tube amp doesn't have a 'pad' or active/passive inputs, & she works beautifully with both actives & passives. They both sound great-just actives sound active & PASSIVE SOUND...PAssive....Duh! great either way.
    Rod.

12. I use active with my Mesa 400+ (and even have an FX unit out front too) and it works just peachy. You should have no problems.

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    No problems with my SR5 into my SVT-VR at all.

14. Ive use actives into my SVT-II all the time, its not got a gain control and it doesnt seem to overdrive the preamp at all.

15. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Absolutely no problems into my Fender Dual Showman which has 2 inputs (hot and padded -10dB) per channel. Its possible to overdrive the preamp if you crank the gain and/or dig really hard near the bridge. Just adds to the bandwidth of sounds available...

16. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    active spector into traynor yba200.... sounds great.

I think that "modern" sounding active basses are great in heavier styles of music, plugged into tube amps. That means less mud when overdriving the amp, compared to passive basses.

17. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Alembic Rogue 5 and a G&L L2000 into a '73 Eminar tube amp- No 'pad' or active/passive inputs. It sounds fantastic.