Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active j bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tyburn, Mar 24, 2001.

1. what kinds of active j bass pickups are there out there,, i've finished modding my j bass and have got the taste for it , i love the j basses and i love making things,, i want to build a j bass with active pickups something different than the the dimarzio's in my existing j,, what about emg's , or the sd lines??

what kind of pickups are out there that are different in sound and responce to my passive ultra j's??

oh and price,, i 'm goin for a wander round the net now so some reviews would be great,

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of pickups do you have?

Do you have a preamp? A preamp will make a heck of a lot more difference than pickups, in most cases. Plus, unlike the majority of pickups, a preamp is usually adjustable after it's installed.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey dude, do you know if the jretro preamp are distribuited in italy?
    thanks

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hey,

There is no Italian distributor but all of Europe can buy them direct from John East in the UK. Here is his website:

http://home.freeuk.net/epro/

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks a lot dude, i'll order one and i'll put on my cranky eko jazz style bass, ciao
    marco

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    EMG Jazz pick ups sound killer!!!!! You could use the electronics that come with them or get a EMG BTC control pre-amp or even better an Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp.

EMG J set-$125-130
    EMG BTC-$65-70
    Aguilar OBP-1-$75-85