Active J-MM-J Pickup Combination

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garret Wheeler, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    Hey everybody!

Ok, so this summer I'm planning on making another Frankenbass to add to my collection. Right now I'm planning on buying a jazz-shaped SX bass to start with. My first move will be to fill the stock pickup routes, so I can re-route to fit a MM-style humbucker between the two Jazz-style pickups. I'll probably position the humbucker to be in the Stingray sweet-spot and adjust the single coil pickups to fit accordingly.

Currently all of my basses are passive, so I really want to incorporate an active preamp into this bass, just to have something different. If at all possible, I'd like to be able to be able to bypass the preamp to use the pickups passively in case of emergencies, but that isn't a deal breaker. I'm a big fan of Seymour Duncan pickups, so without doing a ton of research on how well they would pair together, I've been considering the Quarter Pound Jazz set and either the SMB-4D or SMB-4A. Just from the reviews I've seen, I tend to favor the SMB-4A, but that's subject to change. I know very little about active preamps, so any recommendations on what would work well with this setup is appreciated.

I should also probably say that I'm not overly concerned with slight output differences. I would like to have a switch to change from both J pickups engaged to just the MM. That being said, I don't really plan to mix the MM with either of the single coils, but I wouldn't mind having that option.

My question is how can I go about wiring this setup?

I've scoured the internet trying to find information that would assist me, but I haven't found anything especially useful so far, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    I want it to look and sound something like this:

The only problem is the guy never shows the control panel (And I checked the rest of his channel) , so I have no clue what kind of setup he's running. All he says is that it was "custom-made by his luthier."

Attached Files:

5StringPocket likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    If plan to be able to coil tap the MM then it adds another dimension of complication.
    Sounds like a stu hamm wiring. One guy just posted a thread about his refinish. Try asking him.

Functionality you could have a blend for the J pups and three way switch to select J, both, MM. Then you can have all combinations.

4. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    I don't care at all about coil tapping. I basically just want a good MM sound and a good J sound.

I have checked out the Urge II basses, but not in depth. Can you link me to the thread you mentioned? Thanks!

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Not sure how to with my phone. The guy is pep.

Try looking up wiring diagram explanations on the stu Mac site. They have an explanation of switches. Then draw out the circuit that I made when the switch is in each position. That really helped me to understand and know it was correct.
    Then you've just got two circuits, one being the J with blend and the other being the MM which is simple as it's just one pickup. I believe the "classic" stingray sound is with only one coil of the MM though so maybe you do want a switch there. Could even use a mini DPDT switch.

6. Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm trying the same thing.

7. Hi there, just realised about this thread after 3 years

It's my bass (and still be mine), I have no idea if I answer it by now it still would help you lol

the control plate configuration is :
    (bridge & neck JB vol - stacked) / active-passive switch / MM vol / tone / (Bass & treble cut boost)
    JB PUs wired in parallel, MM PU wired in series

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021