Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

active J pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by old_skool, Feb 25, 2001.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im sure that there have been tons of replacement J pup questions here, but i was wondering if you guys could help me with my situation. Im in the market for some active pickups for my 5 string fender deluxe jazz bass. what would be the best kind of pickups for a good slap tone. i play mostly metal and funk but i want somthing thats pretty versitle. thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Since I got here first I guess I'll be the one to say EMGs are good for slap tones. Not my cup of tea, but they're probably what you're looking for.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    do you think bass lines are suitable for this type of music? any other suggestions? anyone?

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i am partial to emg active pick ups...why do you want to replace the p/u in your jazz bass? i have one and i think the tones they get are excellent for slap/pop and many other sounds.

5. I am currently using DiMarzio Ultra Jazz. I don't have a brdge ground any more as I am using black nylon covered strings. would active pups solve the resulting buzz problem?

Andy

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Actually, Andy, there's a much cheaper way that could help get rid of that hum without putting in new pups. Get an alligator clip wire, and clip it to your bridge. Then clip the other end to your wrist watch (you'll have to put it on the appropriate wrist) and voila- instant ground.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i spose i like the sound the pups get, just looking for somthing a little diffrent. my main beef with the pups is the pole pieces stick way out and cut up my fingers pretty bad. i was kinda leaning towards emgs but wanted other suggestions. are basslines good?

8. SuperD...I don't have a wriistwatch!

:)

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, there is another way to get rid of the hum, you just need an old priest and a young priest... ;)

10. SuperD, I nominate you for neat tip of the year. I tried it. It took me a time to get it to work, and I eventually realised you need a very firm contact with the skin. I eventually soldered the other end of the wire to a brass plate, which I strap to my wrist. Not a tizzle, let alone a buzz. And comfortable! Thank you!

Now I just have to wait for the allergic reactions to brass!

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Glad I could help, Andy. As for the brass, I think it makes your skin turn green... or is that copper? I think it's copper. You should be allright.

My work here is done...

12. Brass is an alloy and contains copper and zinc.

Bert

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    back to my subject.....

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a set od Duncan 1/4 lb P/J in a P-bass & I love it. But dosen't have an active pre-amp & I only play w/a pick. I have about 9 basses total, & all but 2 have EMG pick-ups, this P & a G&L L-2000.

I'd go with EMG's. Also, Why not try a bass w/Bartolini's. I don't like 'em, but alot of peeps do. Try a Padulla or something that has stock Bart's in it.

Good Luck.

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    what are some good emg pups for a fiver? ive looked at there site but its kinda confusing

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They only offer one typy of 5 string J replavement that'll fit right into your Fender. I'd suggest the EMG BTS-system. This is a bass & trebble cut & boos & sound great.