1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active Jazz Bass Pickups with Compression?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topaxi, Oct 24, 2018.

1. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Hey peeps,

I'm brainstorming a custom J bass build, and I'm interested in using high output active pickups with onboard compression, preferably tweakable. Google hasn't found me any off the shelf options. Can anyone point me to some electronics that might achieve what I want? Would an option be to get standard active pickups and wire the innards of some compression pedal into the guitar?

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I would just buy a compression pedal. Get a nice set of pu's and pre-amp. A good pedal and you're gold.

topaxi likes this.
  3. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Yeah, for some reason though I feel like it would be cool to make it a part of the guitar itself

4. There are several companies like Mooer who make "micro" pedals who's circuit boards would most likely fit in a bass body with a bit of routing and pushing really hard. I have a Mooer optical compressor that I use on guitar and it works pretty well.

You should probably get what you want and try it in pedal form to see if you like it before you take it apart though.

topaxi likes this.
  5. topaxi likes this.
  6. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Hmm I like this option. I'll probably go down this route. Thanks for your help!

7. Again, you might assemble it and try it before making major alterations to the bass.

topaxi likes this.
  8. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Don't worry, I'll definitely test it before soldering anything :)