1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Active Jazz Basses Taking Over Urban Gospel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 7, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I know I am just showing a couple of bassists, but a search of videos shows an increase of active Jazzes in Urban Gospel. Just this weekend I saw a Gospel show headlined by Fred Hammond, and the bassist was using some sort of active Jazz. Fred Hammond made on appearance on bass, and he appeared to be playing a Bass Mods active Jazz.

2. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    It's always been like this. Gospel is music that needs huge low end and a good slap sound. Perfect for an active 5 string J.

BassMods are great because the players can actually afford them in their church budget and they don't have to go into debt for a boutique Fbass or something similar.

bgartist, wmmj, lowdownthump and 3 others like this.
  3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    That's cool I am a Jazz fan. And these guys are killer.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    Sounds liken they get the job done, that MTD sounds superb. Personally I like a little more mid for a bit of zing (and on an active bass that is very easily achieved), but you can hear that bass has the bottom end absolutely covered and I can see that working very well in a live gospel setting. It looks superb too and that guy is a hell of a player, no wonder MTD gave him a signature model.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I still like that Ken Smith/Cirrus sound too, but since I own a pretty nice Jazz myself, I certainly ain’t mad the Gospel players for going that way.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I think Sharay Reed and Dwayne Mono Neon have been using active jazz 5 ‘s for some time.

The Worship/Gospel sound is my only reason for needing an active Jazz 5.

Afc70 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    That bass player you saw playing for Fred Hammond was Frank. He plays a Bassmod with a j/MM pickup setup.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I could not clearly see the bridge pickup. Thanks for the info! I think that bridge him bucket has splittable coils because he did get a Jazz sound.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    SteveCS likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Every so often, auto-correct comes up with some real gems... Presumably 'bridge humbucker'...

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are right!

SteveCS likes this.
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ve been focusing on this style of music lately. I can now honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever heard another bass that suited this music better than an active 5 string Jazz. It fits perfectly .

12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Revisiting this thread. My Sire and my Stingray5 Special HH in 2nd gear ( 2 outer coils selected) both sound great in this context. I must admit that the Stingray5 feels and plays so much better. So I completely understand how you are enjoying your Sire but still desire to own a Sadowsky some day.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is a lot to be said for playing what feels right to you. I don’t think anybody wants to be a 100% copycat no matter how much another bassist has influenced you.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Excellent point .

Dr. Cheese likes this.