Active Jazz Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I tried out an active Fender P deluxe - WOW! :eek:

I prefer the sound of a Jazz though and am wondering what active Jazz bass setups you guys would recomend? (other than the marcus miller, which I don't like so much...)

or should I just buy a passive one and retrofit it with an active system?
  2. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the active Jazz V (MIA) has a more comfortable neck and is only about $150.00 more than the standard I think. The new re-designed MIA Jazz Bass Deluxes are great basses. No need to do any electronics mods on these. The SCN pickups and 18 volt preamp are nice sounding....vintagey...but can get a modern tone if you like that.
  3. Yeah, I'm not personally really into the Geddy kinda sound, but I've heard that his signature model is quite good?
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard the same about that model but you have to decide if you want to go passive, active, MIA, MIJ or MIM. MIA and MIJ of course are a bit better with regards to fit, construction etc....but MIMs aren't bad.
  5. I'm looking for a MIA Deluxe Jazz 4 sting are they good?

Does the active preamp make a big difference? does it have a mid boost/cut adjustment? I know the Deluxe P does...
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    test one and decide,the sound is strong,not smooth like pasive ones,is cool strong plenaty oh high and mids sound..hey Is a Fender but with steroids :bassist:
  7. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Ive just ordered a MIA Jazz Deluxe V, Montego Black with maple neck. Its a great bass, Ive always been a bit anti Fenders but tried one out last week and I was blown away with the sound coming out of that thing. Fit and finish exceelent as well. I spent many an hour checking others tbers views on this bass, it was excellent to get so many positive and very differnt views on it. 10 days to wait for it to come from Fender Europe, cant wait to gig it.
  8. Sweet, thanx for the great replies guys! I think I'll give one a serious look!
  9. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

When I was looking about I was told to go for the Geddy, but I had so much GAS that I went for an a nice Deluxe Active Jazz... believe me when I say, this thing kicks ass! I need to get it setup for my style of play (way too heavy I think!), but apart from the few fret-buzzes I get, it's sweet. I can get almost any tone I want out of it, it's great for slap and the string spacing is perfect for my huge hands.

If you don't like big bodies however, give it a miss... but personally I love my axe :)
  10. Does the Active Deluxe still have that classic Fender sound though?
  11. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anything made after the latest re-vamp (2003-2004 and after). You want the SCN pickups and the 18-volt preamp. set at flat...the bass has a very vintagey Fender tone.