Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Active Jazz Pre-amp question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jun 12, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey guys, I got a question for you. I want to add an active jazz bass to my arsenal and I was wondering if this was possible. I'm thinking of going with a Dimarzio model J/Aguilar OBP-3 setup. Now heres my question. In active mode the Aggie will be set up as Volume, Bass, Middle Treble. Is it possible to rig up one of these babies so that I can have the Volume knob a push pull for active/passive, and then have the Bass, Middle, Treble controls become V/V/T when the bass is passive? Personally I think that would own but I have no Idea if its possible to do. So if any of you have a clue if this would work, Id really appreciate it, thanks alot.

2. First I'm a little confused... I think you have 2 pups, cause you want VVT in passive mode. But in active mode you just want VBMT? No blend or 2nd volume for the 2 pups in active mode? And if the BMT become VVT, what does the volume in active mode do? Then you have VVVT in passive, VBMT in active. Doesn't quite add up.

anyway, pretty tough. You've got 4 (5?) pots wit 3 connections to each pot. To just change the 3 from BMT to VVT you'd have to have the switch rewire most or all of those connections.

3 pots x 3 connections each = 9PDT switch. Ouch, rare. Maybe the ground connection doesn't change between active/passive, so 3 pots x 2 connections= 6PDT switch. Still (I think) pretty rare

If somebody makes it, but it'd be really hard to find. And to find one small enough and integrated with the volume pot would be even tougher, small enough to fit in the guitar. May have to go with custom switch/pot. Try these guys.Potentiometers.com

Randy

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I acctually just looked at the wiring diagram on the aguilar website and realized how these bad boys were wired and how i really cant do what i thought i could lol. guess i shoulda checked there first, didnt think of it though, oh well, that ideas out the window, thanks for the response anyway.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I can envision how to do this electronically, but minimizing both package size and current draw from the battery would be the real challenge.

If you used a J-Retro preamp it would probabably give you all that you're looking for...

5. A J retro would be the closest, I think. You wouldn't have an exact VVT in passive mode, but it's not much different.