Active Kingston and Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Does anyone on here play one or own one? I'm thinking about getting one and would love to hear some feedback. Any model will do. The Kingston has a mm pup configuration and the Heir has j/mm style.
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've played both the passive and active Kingston.
    Great neck.19mm.spacing.
    Both play and sound great, I prefered the passive model.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI

I've owned a passive Kingston and the neck, spacing, and playability was quite nice. I can't say anything about the tone cause it was fretless. Had a nice B, though.

P.S. - Try and get one of the newer, pickguard-less Heirs. They look awesome and high-end and I hear they sound excellent with Active options.
  4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Yeah the actives are the ones I'd like to hear about, they're goin for a great price right now and Mike Tobias tweeks every last one that comes from overseas.
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    id like to hear about the active heir/kingston as well. i owned a K5 passive and loved it.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I have only seen good reviews of the active Kingston/Heir models here at TB. I'm on my way to obtaining one--although I've never heard it personally--because I liked the passive one I used to own. I just found out the one I wanted was sold today.
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  8. I have an Aguilar OBP-3 I keep toying with installing in my Heir, but the passive model sounds so good, I'm still hesitating. Decisions, decisions.
  9. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have the active Kingston 5 string.

I like the 35 inch scale more than I thought I would. I figured that it wouldn't really matter one way or the other, but I find that I actually prefer the longer scale.

The asymetrical neck is great. The string spacing is very good. 'Nuff said.

There is a three-band eq, and I have had no problems at all finding whatever tone I want. After I picked it up and played a few 4-hour gigs with it, I raised the string action just a bit (personal preference). Currently I bump the bass just a hair above the middle, bump the mids the same, and leave the highs in the middle, unless I pop/slap, when I turn the highs all the way up. Very clean, very distinct, and it cuts through the mix quite well.

(for the record, I play it through an SWR with 2x12 and, if necessary, put it on top a BagEnd 1x15. Very loud, very clean.)

I told my wife that if I had known I could but such good basses at that price, I could have save a good chunk of money over the years.
  10. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I own a active one, It's absolutely a fantastic bass. The punch and growl (for me) are perfect for what i use it for. This bass handles everything i throw at it. Slap, Finger style, Pick, tap eveything.....

Bottom line...
    Great tones, Great looks, Well balanced and the Red is just really darn pretty to look at.....