Active Mains Speakers for Small Bar (Vocals + Guitar)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, May 30, 2018.

1. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I do realize some sound companies have switched to powered speakers..its just not for everybody..the weight is either in the amp rack..or added to the weight of the speaker cab..and if you are flying the cabs..the larger weight goes in the air..if an amp has a problem on the ground..you can switch it out on the spot..if its in the air..your out of luck for the balance of the show..different strokes for different folks..

2. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    No doubt that all companies have not switched to self powered rigs and some are philosophically opposed.

Your example about an amp failure is valid...but in my experience, speaker failure is far more common.

IMHO, the added weight of the amp module is generally not that big of a deal.
    Published weight of Apogee AE5 (76lbs) Published weight of Meyer Sound UPA1P (77lbs) so it certainly was not an important factor in our decision.

For the record I own separate speakers, processors, and amps and currently have no plans to upgrade because it is cost prohibitive. However, if starting from scratch I would probably buy self powered speakers instead of separates.

4. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    We're using QSC 12's for mostly vocals and keys and they kick butt. Just the right amount of lows with nice clear mids and highs. I like these and some of the Yamaha and JBL's.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    @Blaze Barlow

I would like to add that much to my surprise, our rig went up a bit faster when we transitioned to equivalent powered boxes and the elimination of the amp racks and cable trunks netted a significant reduction in weight and space requirements overall. Basically less clutter on the stage, more room/less weight in the truck, and easier setup and loading.

If it was my money, I would have beat the Apogees for another 5-10 years. But, I can't say I didn't enjoy getting the same or better results with less physical effort...for my taste a single Apogee AE5 sounded better, but the Meyer Sound UPA1Ps arrayed a bit nicer.

derrico1 and Blaze Barlow like this.
  6. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    QSC Ks here. After using a variety of other Class D plastic boxes (JBL, Mackie, RCF), these are the first to me that are clear and smooth at all volumes, with no harshness.

Medford Bassman likes this.
  7. The small PA we use for rehearsal and small acoustic gigs has active QSC speakers and a touch screen mixer. I can’t remember the model number but it sounds pretty good. Before that we had some JBL eons which got the job done but didn’t sound as good as the newer QSC stuff and took longer to setup. Because we had to run cables from the mixer to then sleakers. The QSC system is blue tooth

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yorkville stuff will survive the apocalypse but in a straight up comparison of price, power, weight, frequency range and musicality, the EV ZLX12P wins over the Yorkie NX 12” every time.

Want a better speaker for $300 less a pair, go for the ZLX out of these two.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am actually a little surprised at how many of you are using the QSC K Series speakers. I thought the price might scare people away.

10. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Turbosound IQ here KSCs I find them a little warmer than the adcs but the QScs are good to be sure.

11. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    The QSC K series includes a factory-preset that lets it function as a full-up bass guitar amp.

Stumbo likes this.
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That's cool!

13. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Ah, 3 dB is twice the power.

14. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
  15. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I've been using a pair of Alto TS215s and a TS210 for a monitor to excellent effect for a couple years now, and they've proven to be durable, and sound very good - for the money, they're tough to beat...

DWBass and SmokinJoe992 like this.
  16. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    No offense, but that really has nothing to do with the OP in this thread...

17. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    I'm adding a single QSC KS112 sub to the pair of QSC K8.2s we're using now. It is primarily for kick drum support, and if it sounds decent, I'm going to DI the bass direct to the PA and eliminate the bass guitar amp.

Now to convince the guitarists to do the same...

Medford Bassman likes this.
  18. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I am using an Alto TS210 as a monitor and although I haven't had it too long, so far so good.

I ended up ordering a couple of Yamaha DBR10's which I think will be just what I need. Good performance and value for the money and not breaking the bank (too much). I also like the idea of if the PA system needs to grow with larger speakers up front, that they can still be useful as monitors.

SmokinJoe992 and Wasnex like this.
  19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I use my TS210 all the time - besides as a monitor for various gigs, I use it for home practice A LOT... I run my Korg Pandora and an mp3 player into it, with it set up like a wedge - sounds great, and allows me to hear everything crystal clear at barely above TV volumes... I have done low volume gigs with it and just my little pedalboard for electric bass gigs, and it worked fine for that, too - same thing for AEB gigs... A singer I work with has been pounding the crap out of a pair of the TS215s for a couple years now, and they're still holding up well - and sound great with my A&H mixers...

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm on the Alto bandwagon. Nice speakers at a great price point. They don't have the bells and whistles of the more pricier companies but they are solid, well built, reliable and sound great. I have 2 of the TS212's. $249 each. I plan to buy a couple more. Just used my pair for an outdoor BBQ and they kicked @$$!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    mesaplayer83 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021