Active MIM V upgrade results

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PB+J, Feb 4, 2006.

1. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    LAst week Iposted about all the toruble I was having installing a an aggie preamp and a set of Barts in my Fender MIM Deluxe V. Well it's back from the shop and here's the results

I liked the fender preamp in this pretty well. The noiseless pickups were noiseless and the preamp worked as advertised but it was always bland sounding and I found the mid control useless. So I decided to try a set of Bartolini 57CBJDs, and the Aggie opb-2

My first though was I hated the Bartolinis--a combination of bland and harsh, which seems impossible but there it is. I put them in, tried them and went "hmmm" Tried them on a gig, tried them at home the next day and out they came. They just had a nasty kind of overtone all the time, like you get when the pickup is too close. I just flat out did not like the sound--not too low or too high or too middy, just nasty.

I put the original fender noiseless pickup the bass came with and man, they sounded great. Now I think the fender preamp was the culprit--it was loading them down in some way that made them seem dull. They sound great with the aggie--rich, deep, and full

The OPB-2 set flat sounds almost indistinguishable from the passive bypass. The treble cut is very nicely voiced and effective, the bass cut seems more subtle but the bass boost is just huge. I'll probably use it rarely or just a touch.

Bottom line is losing the fender preamp made a huge difference in the sound