1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Active MM Style Pickup in my P...??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jun 13, 2014.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So I have an '99 Squier P that I have modded quite heavily over the years. Its also my first bass. I have a set of active EMG-PAX's in it now and I really dig them. Here is my question, I want to install a MusicMan style humbucker in there towards the neck, Im guessing that would be the ideal place for it, but I was wondering how difficult, besides the route I would have to do, would that be? I was thinking of going with another EMG since I already have newer EMG's in there with the solderless system in place. Would it be as easy as routing the body and cutting out the pickgaurd and just connecting a few more wires or am I looking at something a little more complicated than that? I was hoping to put a mid knob on it as well.

So to any of you who have done something like this all help, guidance, direction and input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Pretty much as simple as that. Although I'd argue that the ideal place for it would be right where it is on a Stingray.

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I think you're right. I've emailed a couple people to get more info. Thanks for the input

Killing gods

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Unfortunately your existing P pickup overlaps where the sweetspot is on a Stingray.

Have you thought about adding a J at the bridge, or even the MM at the bridge rather than towards the neck?

Brazilfunk likes this.
  5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I would be willing to place it at the bridge position, yes. Just didnt want to route holes is all. I couldve routed a canal like the P is routed and it wouldve been covered by the p/g. If I had to route holes like that, I would have to take it somewheres.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    YEARS ago, I had the EMG version of MM put into a P-bass plus I had. I was not happy with the result; It didn't sound like an MM when I played on that p'up, and it ruined the great slap tone I got out of the PJ config.

I know play a Lakland 4-94 with the Bart MM type p'up in the bridge - and it doesn't really sound like an MM. It sounds great, particularly with both P'ups on - but not like a MM.

I guess my point is that If you want the MM sound, get a MM

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    We'll I have an ATK, I like it. Love it actually. So I have my "MM"sound already. I want the option of having a more versatile tone on my P is all.

Killing gods

8. kshewchuk

kshewchuk

Jun 3, 2007
    People keep comparing the P/MM sound to the MM sound, it's different, not the same at all. Still an awesome sound IMO.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Who is comparing a P/MM to MM sound?